VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 12:18:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: installing latex in vl 5.8 std  (Read 2038 times)
ramesh

« on: July 17, 2007, 06:17:25 am »

Hi all,

How to install latex in VL 5.8  Standard
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 06:31:43 am »

Have you looked in gslapt yet?
ramesh

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:03:53 am »

Newto,

It is not listed in Gslapt
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 07:48:54 am »

you are correct, there is no latex in the repo however texlive is listed along with it's docs.  Here's a description of what texlive is: "TEX Live includes executables for TEX, LaTeX2e, ConTEXt, Metafont, MetaPost, BibTeX and many other programs; an extensive collection of macros, fonts and documentation; and support for typesetting in many different scripts from around the world. It is part of the even larger TEX Collection (briefly described below in section 2, p. 6). Both are cooperative efforts by the TEX user groups."

You will also find lyx (a frontend for texlive/latex) in the repo.

HTH
ramesh

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 02:23:41 pm »

Newtor,

Can't find texlive in gslapt listing
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 02:35:12 pm »

ramesh: you need to enable the "testing" repository in gslapt because that is currently where the texlive package is. To do that go into gslapt, edit. preferences, sources  and add this ftp source:

http://ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/testing/

then you must click the update icon in gslapt.

Please be aware you need lots of hard drive space for texlive and its documentation (about 500MEGS).

However,  from reading your previous posts it seems to me that you are new to Linux. I do not recommend texlive for beginners. It is difficult to learn, much of it runs from the command line and it does not have a GUI environment included nor will it put nice tidy little icons for you in your menu. "Lyx" is a nice GUI frontend for Latex, but it has not been packaged for VL. Even with the GUI you need to learn all the typesetting commands. If you really need a typesetting program and want to use textlive and Latex be prepared for lots of reading and studying. Otherwise I suggest you use Scribus (a desktop publishing pacakge - there is a package in gslapt for VL).

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 03:44:39 pm »

"Lyx" is a nice GUI frontend for Latex, but it has not been packaged for VL.

I can find lyx in out repo.  I think hanu packaged this up with texlive, but it doesn't have the usual filename.
PACKAGE NAME:  lyx-1.4.4-i586-1.tlz
PACKAGE LOCATION:  ./x-apps
PACKAGE SIZE (compressed):  4573 K
PACKAGE SIZE (uncompressed):  27270 K
PACKAGE REQUIRED:  qt >= 3.3.7,libmng >= 1.0.5,libjpeg >= 6b,libpng >= 1.2.12,Mesa >= 6.5.1,x11 >= 6.9.0,fontconfig >= 2.2.3,freetype >= 2.1.9,expat >= 1.95.8,gcc >= 3.4.6,aspell >= 0.60.4,cxxlibs >= 6.0.3,zlib >= 1.2.3,python >= 2.4.3,texlive >= 20070212
PACKAGE CONFLICTS: 
PACKAGE SUGGESTS: 
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
lyx: LyX (graphical frontend for LaTeX typesetting system)
lyx:
lyx: ``LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing
lyx: based on the structure of your documents, not their appearance. It is
lyx: released under a Free Software / Open Source license.
lyx:
lyx: LyX is for people that write and want their writing to look great, right
lyx: out of the box. No more endless tinkering with formatting details,
lyx: 'finger painting' font attributes or futzing around with page boundaries.
lyx: You just write. In the background, Prof. Knuth's legendary TeX
lyx: typesetting engine makes you look good.''
lyx:
lyx: (c) 2007 GNU GPL v2
lyx: http://www.lyx.org

Otherwise, everything else you said is right-on.  It's not for the faint of heart Grin
ramesh

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 05:42:39 pm »

lagagnon,

Thank you for your advice.

I am rather new to linux but  I am determined to learn the intricacies involved in it and also the hard nut -  'Latex.'
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 07:02:04 pm »

If you really need a typesetting program and want to use textlive and Latex be prepared for lots of reading and studying. Otherwise I suggest you use Scribus (a desktop publishing pacakge - there is a package in gslapt for VL).

Scribus is a very promising page layout program, but it's not a typesetting program at this time. Scribus is rather poor at text handling. It lacks adequate controls for hyphenation and justification and is unsatisfactory for setting justified text.

Scribus is not intended for and not good for composing text. You should write text in a word processor or text editor and bring it into Scribus. Scribus is also totally unsatisfactory for documents that use footnotes and indexes.

The text engine is due for a major overhaul in future versions of Scribus, but it will be quite a while before Scribus is a program of choice for long text documents with footnotes and indexes.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 09:16:14 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 02:32:47 pm »

Another good of latex is the way it works. Saving your files in plain text and then compile them looks like and extra step with no sense. But is better than the binary formats because they get corrupted more easy. Several large companies switched to open formats because of this, like -iirc- Boeing. Also, I think doing scripted tasks is more easy, even when most today publishers has a "batch process" option. I am a newbie to this things too, I am learning because I want to propose a migration at the company I work for.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: