VectorLinux
April 22, 2014, 10:42:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector's 10 th Birthday plans.  (Read 3069 times)
metvas
Vectorite

« on: July 17, 2007, 07:56:19 am »

Hello All:
I am going to start a project now that will not become effective until August 3,2008. What is significant about that date you say? Well, Vector will have reached a milestone.
One full decade, since the gleam of Vector shone in our eyes, yup believe it or not we will be 10years old. So I was thinking, (don’t worry it won’t hurt), what to do for this birthday? The field is wide-open ideas, suggestions, and comments. Why such a long lead in. I feel we will need that amount of time to do it right.
One idea so far is to schedule a release on that date a real showstopper. So let them roll in as they come to you regardless of how wacky or far out, every idea is a good one.
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 02:26:20 pm »

regardless of how wacky or far out, every idea is a good one.
I vote for free drinks.  And cake.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 04:49:16 pm »

I agree with exeterdad. but let's add blackjack, strippers, and um ... jello wrestling.  Wet t-shirt contest?

Okay, seriously ... I gather that VL developers and users are kind of scattered around the world.  I know an actual physical party seems unlikely, but everyone is welcome to come here to St. Louis, Missouri, if you'd like me to host one.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 05:45:56 pm »

let's add blackjack, strippers, and um ... jello wrestling.  Wet t-shirt contest?

This is completely inappropiate for a 10 year old. You should be ashamed of yourself!

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 05:57:30 pm »

Mark Shuttleworth was a keynote speaker at the Ubuntu Live Conference held worldwide through a special IRC channel. I enjoyed attending this moderated Q&A session by simply logging in as a guest to the IRC channel. Shuttleworth answered a selection of questions and I read the proceedings as if in a chatroom.

Suppose VL community was to hold such an IRC conference on its birthday, an upbeat, totally positive, friendly meeting for 4 hours or so, to allow for all the time zones. Maybe Robert Lange (Vector) could come online for an hour to reminisce and answer questions about history and future of VectorLinux. (He might have a technical and a managerial advisor to help out with questions from the VL community and public at large.) Perhaps in the second hour we could hear from John B16, Joe1962, uelsk8s, MOE-lnx, lagagnon, hanumizzle, Masta, the unsung devs who make VL work. Let's name names and give credit due. Tentative: publish abridged transcript of conference, submit transcript to Linux news outlets as news item.

I say upbeat, friendly and totally positive for a reason, to cordially invite any disaffected Vectorites to come by, even if anonymously, to enjoy our company, and celebrate this wonderful distribution. Publicity could be through DistroWatch, LXer, and tuxmachines, much like Shuttleworth did for the Ubuntu conference. This might be an opportunity to reach out to the people who expressed discontent with VL recently at DistroWatch. Maybe LLL could compose a suitable message of reconciliation. Good time and place to publicly commit to the Newbie Friendly pledge/policy.

Event: The VectorLinux 10th Anniversary Open Conference
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 08:05:57 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 06:08:27 am »

gacl,

ROFL

Okay, how about clowns, balloons, cake, hide-and-seek, and um ... strippers?

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 09:45:46 pm »

"A Decade of Excellence" Testimonials

Set up a section in VL Forum and/or an email address for users to submit testimonials about using VL. Then on the birthday, publish worthy testimonials in a special section on our home page. Suggested guidelines include first experience with VL, reasons for trying VL the first time, first impressions of VL, ways that VL has improved user's computing experience, one special tweak that makes a difference for user, two other favorite distros (other than VL), one improvement that would make VL a better experience for user, Standard or SOHO? how does user rank VL, and so on.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 07:14:12 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 11:10:18 am »

How about a press release? Including a biography of Vector and its developers, excerpts from reviews, testimonials, etc. And a copy of the latest release, of course. And send that to magazines, reviewers, etc.

tomh38: Is it an evil clown?

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 06:26:25 pm »

Ya, I noticed how rude folks can be. They never gave us the flavour of the jello, or the cake!!
Rude SOB, now I have to guess.
Regards
Darrell

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 08:34:55 pm »

Set up a section in VL Forum and/or an email address for users to submit testimonials about using VL
This is a great start and a great idea. I will ask Robert to set up a link to SM from our main page for this idea. Could one of the admins set up a category for us?
Thanks
regards
Darrell

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 10:04:30 pm »

gacl:

Yeah, yeah, an evil clown that hits people with nettles!

Reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit where a circus manager (may have been the late Phil Hartman) was interviewing clowns.  "So, you must be 'Exposo' ...

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 07:32:33 am »

Hello All:
Lets not give up on this thread. It may appear that we have a lot of time. Next year will be here in a flash.
Thanks for your input.
regards
Darrell

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: