VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 11:45:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Failed login  (Read 2837 times)
draggon_9

« on: July 17, 2007, 08:18:11 am »

I just installed VL 5.8 gold and am new to Linux. Where do I type in (adduser command ) at to correct my login problem? Thanks.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:17:59 am »

you could log in as root and adduser.  If you failed to create a root password then the password for root is blank/null, so just enter root as username and hit enter for password <- if this is the case then you should fix the root's password so it's not blank.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 01:53:03 am »

Or, try 'vuseradd' to get vasm's user add tool.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
ade52

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:59:52 am »

Hi to all,

Just downloaded VL5.08 SOHO Live and have got a login problem as well, this is all new to me
but it seems strange that the request for a user name and password, should be asked for when
the user has had no opportunity to create these details previously, could we not be asked to
create these details at that stage instead, much like getting registered on this forum, and it
would save coming onto the forum to ask what seems like an avoidable question in the first
place, anyway can i use the same advise for my login problem.

Thanks.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 10:03:57 am »

The passwords are on the faq section, I think they are somewhere in the live cd, I guess could be a more ovious place:

There are 2 users:
userpassword
vlvector
rootvector

This info is also somewhere on the livecd / livedvd, but is often missed.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 10:06:27 am »

could we not be asked to create these details at that stage instead, much like getting registered on this forum, and it would save coming onto the forum to ask what seems like an avoidable question in the first
place, anyway can i use the same advise for my login problem.
Having to create a user every time you boot a live cd is not a good idea IMO. Anyways, here's the default login and passwords for the live cd's : http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3018.0 .

I'm not sure where the user/password combo's are shown, but it should be shown somewhere. Something else for the developers to consider, is that other live cd's don't need a password/user at all. Why does ours need that?

ade52

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 10:52:18 am »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, picking up on what was said, generally it seems that the idea of login in at the installation
stage is a non starter in more ways than one, and if the user must do it it should be made easier, lets not forget
here the idea is to retain the converted, but more importantly to grab the windows users. Lets make those distros as
easy as possible to install and get running, and worry about the etiquette once were in so that the newcomers
like myself, don't get frustrated and run, possibly like the guy in the link after his 4g experience.

Thanks.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 12:37:25 pm »

I agree, if the login is absolutely necessary the login/password should be shown at the login screen.. After all it's a livecd.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: