VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 11:53:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: quiet startup ?  (Read 2268 times)
mick12345678
Vectorite

« on: July 18, 2007, 11:07:48 am »

Is there a way to suppress all the message output to the screen on bootup ?
Ideally, I want to press the 'on' button, and the next thing I see is the desktop
i.e no boot messages, no choice of mode (straight into level 4), and autologin.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:13:08 am »

if you are using the bootsplash and you want to disable the text messages at the bottom then opening a root terminal and typing "chmod -x /etc/rc.d/rc.text"  should take care of it for you.

Let us know if it worked,
Uelsk8s
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:25:30 am »

You can edit lilo.conf to wait 0 seconds for booting the default boot partition too, I can remember a Laganon post about it. I think you need to edit the "timeout=X" option, where X is the time to wait.
Also, there is a recent post about how to enable autologin:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2913.msg17399#msg17399

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 02:04:12 pm »

You can edit lilo.conf to wait 0 seconds
I edited /etc/lilo.conf and set the timeout to zero - but it still wanted to wait 2 minutes. Tried setting it to "1", but same difference. Is there more than one "lilo.conf"  Huh

there is a recent post about how to enable autologin:
that worked fine, thanks  Cool

if you are using the bootsplash ..
I don't know if I am or not - don't recall it as being as selectable option during configuration..what is it ?

What I want to lose is the several screenfulls of messages between the LILO selection and the (auto) login.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 02:06:27 pm »

I edited /etc/lilo.conf and set the timeout to zero - but it still wanted to wait 2 minutes. Tried setting it to "1", but same difference.

You must also update the map file that lilo writes before the change to that file will take effect. Open a terminal, login as root (su) and then type "lilo -v" and your changes will be written to the new boot map file.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 02:16:59 pm »

You can avoid those messages using the bootsplash, but that is "boot time", you can make it a little faster disabling all the services you dont use, and perhaps tweaking your default runlevel, but you will need to wait fot all those tasks the system do at boot time to get a working system. You can enable the bootsplash from the lilo section in VASM. If you see a little penguing on the upper left at a nice resolution you are already using it.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 11:37:29 am »

Thats just about done it thanks Smiley
Bootsplash is a great improvement on the scrolling console - I don't mind the status line that comes with it, best to keep that I think. Cool
Artthou

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 12:27:22 pm »

Can anyone comment on what would need to happen in a grub entry for the bootsplash to happen?  Since I did not install lilo, I don't think the mapfile is being used at all.  Will this hurt me much?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 02:17:38 pm »

Thats just about done it thanks Smiley
Bootsplash is a great improvement on the scrolling console
Unless of course you are trying to debug an error in the booting process!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 04:38:13 pm »

I like getting rid of the "silent" line of my lilo.conf so I get a nice blue graphic and see the text whiz by within the nice little frame.  I have to see the text.  I need to see what's going on.  I'm funny that way.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: