VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 12:00:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Firewall testing website  (Read 1715 times)
mr_volvo

« on: July 18, 2007, 11:52:12 pm »

Hi,
 Is there a firewall testing website/software that gets the popular vote? I've used the one at www.grc.com before but what are my other (safe, trustworthy, comprehensive) options? I am feeling a bit vulnerable as I recently had my credit card details stolen, I have no idea from where or when really, but I want to be sure that if it happens again it will be someone robbing me face-to-face!

P.S. This obviously isn't a Vec. specific question, so maybe it doesn't belong here.Sorry if that is the case.

Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 06:38:56 am »

...I recently had my credit card details stolen...
I doubt that would be a computer hack job - more likely your card was illegally swiped at some restaurant somewhere when you last gave the card to a waitress, or someone found a credit card statement in your trashcan...

As to the grc site it is quite good. I don't think you need worry too much about VectorLinux. VL has very few ports open to the outside world. Less than many other distros. If you don't use Samba you should close those down otherwise VL is pretty tight. Go to VASM, SUPER, SERVICE, SRVSET, 4 and close out any services you do not use.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
mr_volvo

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:14:00 am »

Yeah I agree, I don't really believe I was hacked, it was honestly much more likely to be the ways you describe or me buying things whilst drunk off the net (a Visa in the hands of a drunk man is a loaded gun) but I'm told you can never be too safe.

Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:20:16 am »

Do your own scans using nmap.

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: