VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 07:20:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ipw3945 auto-start, another wireless boot-time question  (Read 2004 times)
apock627

« on: July 19, 2007, 02:14:24 am »

Hi. My laptop has an Intel wireless 3945. Intel makes a linux driver for it and I have managed to get it going manually. One slightly different thing from usual (I think) is that it needs its own daemon started before it will work. The module is being loaded as it should be, I think because of a line in /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth1 ipw3945

So after boot up the minimal set of commands to get wireless working seems to be:
Starting the daemon
# /sbin/ipw3945d
Configuring the interface (doesn't exist before the daemon is started)
# ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.0
# route add default gw 192.168.0.1
# iwconfig eth1 essid "My_Network"
# iwconfig eth1 key <MYKEYINHEX>

and I'm up and running (I think, doing this from memory atm).
I could just put this in rc.local I guess but this seems a little clumsy and not how it is supposed to work.

Question - where should I put the daemon loading line in the rc scripts? It would have to come before inets so eth1 exists when these are started.

Then I will try to see why my networks are not getting started as they should be.

THanks
apock627

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 07:10:34 am »

Some progress. I've added to /etc/rc.M
Code:
echonl "Starting ipw3945 daemon..."
/sbin/ipw3945d

after the hostname and nameserver section, and before the other networks section, and this seems to work all right.

I've uncommented a section in one of the rc scripts which starts inets, can't remember which one now, possibly the next few lines of /etc/rc.M. Not sure where else this might have been started from when this was commented.

I've also inserted the right values in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf manually.

Then in /etc/rc.d/functions-network I've put
Code:
iwconfig eth1 essid "My_Network"
iwconfig eth1 key <mykey>

after the ifconfig lines (so eth1 is up before the iwconfig commands) and just before the gateway is probed

This works, but produces an error message because these iwconfig commands also get run while eth0 (the NIC) is getting set up, (before eth1 is set up).

Still not the way it is supposed to go but never mind.
There are further lines in functions-network referring to wireless interfaces but I wasn't sure what difference it made that my wireless interface is called eth1 and not wlan0 for how to edit this part.

Feel like I'm getting warmer but if someone wants to tell me where these changes really belong I would prefer to know how VL was designed to start.
Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: