VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: First: CDs don't mount/work  (Read 1439 times)

VecPad

First: CDs don't mount/work
« on: July 19, 2007, 06:24:18 am »

Quick question: Should I just install HAL and rely on that over FSTAB, etc? Or is that not advisable? I do like to follow the "Slack way" if possible.

I followed the config wizard through Vector's system tool, and enjoyed the scattered humor ("you, the almighty root"), but it still failed to mount my disk. The wizard believed that my CDRom was on /dev/hdc, but I successfully mounted the disc earlier with this command:
Code: [Select]
# mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdromOr something along those lines. I tried a standard CDRom fstab entry too, but no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm spoiled with 1.5GB RAM, but this is how KDE should be: completely smooth and instant.

retired1af

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: First: CDs don't mount/work
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 06:28:40 am »

Here's the entries for my /etc/fstab. Having no issues at all with mounting either the CD or DVD rom drives.

Code: [Select]
# CDROM, CDWRITER, DVD
/dev/cdrom1     /mnt/cdrom1     iso9660         users,noauto,ro
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         users,noauto,ro
/dev/dvd        /mnt/dvd        iso9660         users,noauto,ro
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

VecPad

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 06:41:30 am »

Thanks! I'm actually going to reinstall and take things slower this time, so that I'm sure that my system is in tip-top shape. The first change I'll make is to add that fstab entry.

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:03:23 am »

The fstab statements from retired1af are the default lines from the initial fstab. So when you install VL they should be there.
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143

VecPad

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:06:49 pm »

They weren't. There was a commented line that would typically precede the CDROM entry, followed by a blank line. No big deal though.