VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 11:37:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First: CDs don't mount/work  (Read 1191 times)
VecPad

« on: July 19, 2007, 05:24:18 am »

Quick question: Should I just install HAL and rely on that over FSTAB, etc? Or is that not advisable? I do like to follow the "Slack way" if possible.

I followed the config wizard through Vector's system tool, and enjoyed the scattered humor ("you, the almighty root"), but it still failed to mount my disk. The wizard believed that my CDRom was on /dev/hdc, but I successfully mounted the disc earlier with this command:
Code:
# mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
Or something along those lines. I tried a standard CDRom fstab entry too, but no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm spoiled with 1.5GB RAM, but this is how KDE should be: completely smooth and instant.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 05:28:40 am »

Here's the entries for my /etc/fstab. Having no issues at all with mounting either the CD or DVD rom drives.

Code:
# CDROM, CDWRITER, DVD
/dev/cdrom1     /mnt/cdrom1     iso9660         users,noauto,ro
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         users,noauto,ro
/dev/dvd        /mnt/dvd        iso9660         users,noauto,ro

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
VecPad

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 05:41:30 am »

Thanks! I'm actually going to reinstall and take things slower this time, so that I'm sure that my system is in tip-top shape. The first change I'll make is to add that fstab entry.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 10:03:23 am »

The fstab statements from retired1af are the default lines from the initial fstab. So when you install VL they should be there.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
VecPad

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 11:06:49 am »

They weren't. There was a commented line that would typically precede the CDROM entry, followed by a blank line. No big deal though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: