VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 07:13:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless: My card works, but using wireless is clumsy.  (Read 1641 times)
VecPad

« on: July 19, 2007, 05:45:16 am »

From a fresh Vector 5.8 SOHO install, what's the best way to get my wireless working and switch networks? My module (ath_pci, from Madwifi) is thankfully installed, and I was able to get my wireless card up by running:
Code:
# ifconfig ath0 up
and was able to see networks with
Code:
# iwlist ath0 scan
But this, in conjunction with iwconfig, is no modern way to hop onto wireless networks :^)

So what's the right route to go? I couldn't find KNetworkManager or NetApplet locally. Is there a guide for getting wireless running in SOHO out there? I'd like to use the smoothest and easiest method I can.
VecPad

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 03:43:39 pm »

Got it up now! Just needed to add the inet for this interface. I'm now posting, via wireless from my VecPad! kWiFiManager seems to do the job of getting me on open networks quite well.
mithion

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:36:41 am »

I've had problems with all the GUI programs included in VL except for Wifi-radar.  But I don't like using that because it doesn't let you connect automatically at boot.  I've tried KWifiManager without success.  I've entered all the information in the configuration editor but was unable to get on the internet.  When I tried to activate it, it gives me the message "encryption settings could not be set".  Then it shows me connected to the ESSID with 4 bars of connection strength.  But I'm unable to get on the internet.  Could you tell me what you did?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:45:51 pm »

What encryption are you using, WEP or WPA?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
mithion

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 02:33:25 pm »

I'm using WEP.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 03:22:14 pm »

I have no experience with WEP. I use WPA for my wireless connection and it is laborious to set up and clumsy to use. But it works.

I have to use ndiswrapper with a Win XP driver. That part is easy. I couldn't get wireless working until I started testing VL 5.9.
GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
mithion

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 04:43:55 pm »

I have an rt61 based network card.  The serialmonkey project have reversed engineered the Linksys drivers and provide native drivers for linux.  This is what I compiled, loaded and is currently using.  But I've had issues with the layers on top of the driver.  For example, configuring the network access using iwconfig has proven not to work.  At least not directly.  KWifiManager and KWlan have also both failed.  I'm able to connect to the internet by manually configuring 4 things. 

1)  First, I set a network profile with VASM.  Strangely, VASM correctly created the config file but fails to execute it to connect to the access point

2) I modify the /etc/modprobe.conf file to use the correct module (ie. the "rt61" module) and alias it as wlan0.

3) I added my interface (wlan0) in the /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf file under the "INTERFACE=" argument.

4) I modified the /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 file to use the correct network interface.  I'm in unfamiliar territory with this, but I believe this last script is executed during boot, and this is what basically lets me have internet as soon as I login.  Although strangely enough, sometimes it doesn't work and I don't know why.

The only other method that let me connect to the internet is through Wifi-Radar.  But I don't like it so much because it doesn't let me start the connection automatically.  I find it cumbersome to have to start wifi-radar manually, enter the root password and then select the access point I want to connect to everytime I boot my computer.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 05:25:21 pm »

I use fixed IP addresses, so I added two lines to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.2.12
wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

The first line gets my fixed IP wireless going and the second enables WPA, which must be enabled in order for me to use wireless.

I can ping an address once those files have loaded. However, to use my wireless in XFce I have to run wifi-radar, tell it to disconnect, then tell it to connect. Until I do that, I can't get anywhere with a browser. I would like to have this automated but I don't know how.

I'm not familiar with KDE's options for that.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: