VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 03:04:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saving the root password  (Read 3140 times)
mithion

« on: July 19, 2007, 09:26:41 am »

After upgrading VL 5.8 Std to XFCE 4.4.0, I have a strange bug related to passwords.  When an operation is performed which requires root privileges, a password is requested as usual.  I then noticed an option where you can save the password for the current session or forever.  But when I select to remember the password, the next time I execute something that needs root privileges, VL still requests a password be entered.  Is this a bug or is it a feature that has not be fully implemented yet?   
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 07:44:23 pm »

After upgrading VL 5.8 Std to XFCE 4.4.0, I have a strange bug related to passwords.  When an operation is performed which requires root privileges, a password is requested as usual.  I then noticed an option where you can save the password for the current session or forever.  But when I select to remember the password, the next time I execute something that needs root privileges, VL still requests a password be entered.  Is this a bug or is it a feature that has not be fully implemented yet?   

What is that something?? If it is another application it will request a password. Passwords are not transferable from one program application to another as far as I know.
mithion

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 06:39:08 pm »

This occurs even when I use the same program in a row.  For example, if I use wifi-radar and enter the root password, do what I need to do, close the window and reopen it immediately, it will ask me for a password again.  Even though I specify to remember password.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 08:24:15 pm »

I'm not seeing an option to remember the password in anything in XFce that requires a password. I'm using joe1962's no-HAL upgrade to XFce 4.4.0. Did you use a VL package to upgrade XFce?

In VL 5.0.2 SOHO, on which I used XFce that I installed directly from the XFce Web site, I did have the option to remember the password. However, it never worked.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
mithion

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 03:08:21 pm »

Here, I got a screenshot to show you.  I upgraded XFCE to 4.4.0 from the VL repositories.  This screen shot was taken after executing GSLAPT.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 05:45:09 pm »

Thanks for the screenshot. Mine is quite different and has no option to save a password.

I didn't use the same package to upgrade as you did. Instead, I used Joe1962's package that doesn't install hal as a dependency. See this message for more information:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=786.msg21141#msg21141

The download location is
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/fixes/xfce-4.4.0-no-hal-i586-4vl58.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/fixes/Thunar-0.8.0-no-hal-i586-4vl58.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/fixes/xfprint-4.4.0-no-hal-i586-3vl58.tlz

--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
mithion

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 08:39:22 am »

Ok, that makes a lot of sense.  If there are two versions of XFCE, one with hal and one without, that could explain the difference in behavior.  I would like to try Joe1962's packages.  Do I need to downgrade those three packages back to their original versions from VL STD Gold?  Or can I simply upgrade the ones I have?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 08:43:25 am by mithion » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 12:26:52 pm »

I would like to try Joe1962's packages.  Do I need to downgrade those three packages back to their original versions from VL STD Gold?  Or can I simply upgrade the ones I have?

Sorry, I have no idea. I hope Joe1962 or someone else who knows the answer will step in.

Also, you have HAL on your system now. I don't know what effect that has system-wide.
--GrannyGeek

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 12:52:15 pm »

The package basenames are different, so it won't upgrade directly. What I did was to manually remove the originally xfce packages from Standard and manually install the no hal packages. IIRC, the original xfce (a 4.4 release candidate) was not packaged in the same way. I think thunar was included in the xfce package, though I may be wrong. Since you already upgraded to the 4.4 with hal, they will be in the same parts. However, I can't really say if removing the hal packages and installing the no hal ones will work or break something.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
mithion

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 03:16:55 pm »

Well, here goes nothing,  I'll download the three packages above, remove their hal configured counterparts, and install the no-hal packages.  If it breaks something.  I'll report back.  Wish me luck.
mithion

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 03:28:40 pm »

Ok, I went over the installation and everything seems to work fine.  It asked if it could remove a bunch of other packages additionally to those three above.  I did hoping they weren't important.  I then installed the no-hal packages and booted back into init 5.  Everything seems to work good.  Unfortunately, I still have the password screen and once more, it does not remember my password when I tell it to.  On the upside, the system was blazzing fast before, but now, it's probably even faster.  hal really can be mistaken for hell.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: