VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 07:08:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: restart nic  (Read 1588 times)
ghartl1
Vectorite

« on: July 21, 2007, 02:38:19 pm »

hi,

i use soho 5.8, and have one active nic..

please can you give me theexact syntax, so the system can reread the settings of the nic(e.g.after manual configuration of the nic)

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart
                rc.inet2 restart
                rc.inetd restart..hmmm

imho with rc.inet1.conf you can configure by hand your connection(and is written in rc.inet1)

rc.inet2 starts the services of the nic??not sure now..but in this file i do have the exact settings of my nic too(gateway,ip,subnetmask..)

some lines in there..
This file is supposed to be created by vinetadd
 and modified by vinetset...never heard o them

so at last rc.inetd(i take it that inetd.conf is responsible for thisscript)i read that is the bsd internetdamon...actually i do hav all lines in inetd.conf deaktivated..no need to offer something to the outer world

so can somebody fill me in...upmost thing would be the restart-command of the nic

thanks for your time in advance..i appreciate this..and the friendly forum and the distro for sure

greets günter
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 02:40:44 pm by ghartl1 » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 05:15:02 pm »

If you are using dhcp then dhcpcd -k
then ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

Bigpaws
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 07:26:16 pm »

Or if is an ethernet connection and you can reach the plug easily, just unplug it, wait a few seconds (depends on the ifplugd config, but 10 should be plenty) and plug in again. That's what I do... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 02:07:58 am »

i dont use dhcp..have a static ip

so the syntax would be then

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up

greets günter
Pages: [1]
  Print