VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 07:43:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Thunar problem  (Read 3073 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« on: July 22, 2007, 05:58:57 am »

I'm having a little problem with Thunar.  It used to display all entries in alphabetical order, and just this morning it started displaying things in randomized order.  I looked through the thunarrc file but couldn't find anything that looked like a setting for that.

Any ideas?

VL Std. 5.8 Live Beryl

AMD Sempron, nVidia GeForce 5200, 512 RAM

Thanks,
Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 06:09:43 am »

It's probably not necessary to go through the rc file. Try changing the sort order from the menu.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 06:45:42 am »

Thanks hanumizzleman.

I tried the preferences configuration, but I can't find anything in there that lets me set it to alphabetical order.  There seem to be other options, but I can't find that one.

Paunchman

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 06:50:53 am »

You may wish to toggle 'Sort folders before files' if that helps at all.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 06:56:59 am »

Wow, you're fast.

Yeah, I tried that, but no dice.  Also, I opened Thunar as root (not a good idea I know) and it shows the same randomized order, folders before files but not alphabetical.  There's probably some global setting somehwere, but I can't find anything in the Xfce docs or on Google about it.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 07:13:46 am »

Wow, you're fast.

Yeah, I tried that, but no dice.  Also, I opened Thunar as root (not a good idea I know) and it shows the same randomized order, folders before files but not alphabetical.  There's probably some global setting somehwere, but I can't find anything in the Xfce docs or on Google about it.

Can I see a screenshot and stuff? I think Thunar sorts by date or size now, and that causes the problem.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 07:14:22 am »

Just a thought.  Acrossed the top of the window the columns are labeled Name, Size, Type, Date Modified.  When you click the Name column does that straighten it out?
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 07:17:02 am »

Thanks exeterdad, hanumizzle, for the help over this minor annoyance.  You guys are the best.

exeterdad, what you suggested did the trick

Tom

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 07:58:19 am »

Just so other readers aren't confused.  The above solution only works if the view mode is set to "Detailed List".
View > View as Detailed List (selected)

I forgot Thunar isn't shipped that way.  It's in icon view. Thankfully tomh38 and I have ours set up the same way.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 08:25:24 am »

Just so other readers aren't confused, hanumizzle and exeterdad rock!

Yes, I'm arse-kissing, but I've found that such a great group of devs and experts that VL has deserve it.

I owe you guys a beer.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 08:29:00 am »

Wait...I can't drink beer.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 08:39:31 am »

He said expert.  Silly man.  I've pulled my hair out for just about every little thing I've learned about Linux  Grin

Aren't you in St. Louis or something Tom?  Lemme guess, gonna buy us a Bud?  lol
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 03:49:07 pm »

exeterdad,

Actually ... I am in St. Louis.  But since water is free, why would I offer to buy you a Bud?  Anheuser-Busch only makes one good thing:  jobs.  I was thinking something more real, along the lines of Guinness.

hanumizzle,

Well, since you can't drink beer, howsabout a cheeseburger or a new motherboard?

exeterdad,

The difference between a Linux expert and a newbie is how much hair you've pulled out.

Thanks again guys.

Tom

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 03:53:41 pm »

hanumizzle,

Well, since you can't drink beer, howsabout a cheeseburger or a new motherboard?

Korpiklaani's latest album would certainly be nice...lol

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 04:28:00 pm »

Anheuser-Busch only makes one good thing:  jobs
I'm sure they create a ton of jobs.  By the looks of the brewery, they could staff a 24/7 lightbulb changing crew.

I've had the pleasure of being in St. Louis a few times.  I was lucky enough to be there to witness the most amazing fireworks display I've ever seen.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: