VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 04:18:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay VL user, what do you do for work?  (Read 19883 times)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« on: July 22, 2007, 10:45:35 am »

Not trying to get too personal. But I often wonder what other Linux users do for a living.  People are quite surprised or even shocked that I'm a Geek for fun.  I guess I don't fit the profile.

I'm a carpenter. I've been one for about 17 years. No college.

I'm curious what the majority of Linux users are.  I know many are students, some retired.  But what is your career?  Or what was, or will be your career?
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 10:55:49 am »

Me, probably sys admin or computer programmer. None can really say. It's almost as likely I'll end up as a translator or something.

No shame in being a carpenter of course.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 11:04:40 am »

petroleum geologist, but now basically retired!  Smiley

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 11:09:02 am »

Welder/fitter/whatever-it-is-you-want-to-be-done-with-steel...
College-level mechanical engineering up my belt, but entered the job-market at the wrong time....

<Lame sig>
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 11:18:44 am »

Welder/fitter/whatever-it-is-you-want-to-be-done-with-steel...
College-level mechanical engineering up my belt, but entered the job-market at the wrong time....

I wish I could do really practical stuff like that. But I helped wire a house once. Smiley

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 11:39:50 am »

Well, I'm a student during most of the year (starting college soon in about two months from now). During my summer holidays I work (3 months - yeah, the school holidays are that long here!).

3 years ago I worked at a goat farm; 2 years ago I worked on a construction site ("servente de pedreiro" was my job, not sure what the same is in english); last year I worked at a recycling plant separating metals, this year I'm working at the same place but at their warehouse (logistical stuff). I'm also distributing fliers for the local pizzaria after I get out from my "main" job.

Basically, I do whatever job I can to earn some $$$. Wink
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 11:42:51 am by easuter » Logged

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 01:05:05 pm »

I'm currently (still) studying mechanical engineering. I have been away for 1.5 years assembling packaging machines, but didn't like working assembling too much and continued studying (soon after that they fired a lot of people). I've worked parttime for a small engineering company after I had an internship there, making 3D models in Autocad and using those in Finite Elements Analysis calculations. When they didn't need me any more I did some crude metal work (also parrtime), you know, sawing, welding, grinding, that sort of stuff. Now I'm a full time student again.

I'm not quite sure what I want to do when I (finally!) finish, but you can bet it's going to be something with calculations. I hope to do some programming too, but I have to admit I don't have much knowledge and experience in that department yet. I'm working on that though Smiley.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 03:02:09 pm »

well, here we go. My father is a mechanical engineer, so I went to the technical school hoping to study the same at college. Then I meet math, physics and that stuff from that great professor. So I started to read about that, ended with a epistemological interest. I went to the college to study philosophy. I am still there, at my 30's, because... well, life is weird here sometimes. I go to classes when I can, and I make a few exams per year (the college is pretty different here, the state one is the better, and you can do almost what you want, everything but killing a professor). I help some professors there too, as a non-paid job. In paralell, I work for our very small family factory. We make cars spare parts. I am the welder. We have several machines of different kinds, I dont know their names in english, but you can figure out, everything to kill a piece of steel. I weld 200 pieces per day. Of course, I administrate the few computers we have too, and our website.
My four month little daughter hangs with me in the workshop two times a week, her mother Vanesa works too, at the mall. So I am a substitute-mother some times  Smiley. At the end of the day, at home, I do some web developing for extra money, most of the time php, and flash when I cant convince the client about the opposite, but I needed an extra box at work, so, that is paused for now.
then, some time for the family, I am trying to learn everything I can about music, and then I hang with a freaky linux community  Grin.

EDIT: That sound nice, guys, I like the carpenters (and all  biblic professions) welders, engineers and programmers. Translators are in the top five of my list.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 05:53:53 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 05:18:47 pm »

I live in Malaysia and I work as a Technician/Helpdesk to a semi-conductor factory. My main function is to maintain hardware and trouble-shoot software problem. My factory mainly using wind@ws based OS. Some servers are UNIX-based OS for operational. Smiley

I started to use Linux especially VL because I want to try something else beside Wind@ws. But now I seldom use it because don't have internal network and broadband connection but will plan to setup this August. Tongue
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 07:22:54 pm »

Data support for a major telecommunications company.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Kocil

Eko M. Budi

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 07:38:27 pm »

I'm a lecturer, teaching programming, digital & computer systems, instrumentation and control.
I also the head of computer facility on my department.
My university has a campuss agrement with M$ for using the Windows, Office, and .NET.
However, I abuse my position to install VL on half of the computers in my lab Smiley

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 08:05:59 pm »

I am basically retired now. In 1989 I started a small nonprofit organization and devoted most of my time to it until 2005, when I started a slow process of retirement. Finding people to do all the jobs I did is difficult. I hope to hand over all responsibilities by this fall. I'll continue to work on our newsletter and informational publications.

I learned most of what I know about computers and software out of necessity, so that I could do the jobs that needed to be done for the nonprofit. A major responsibility was putting out a newsletter and several informational brochures, pamphlets, and booklets. In order to do a good job, I completed a graphic design certificate through a noncredit adult program of the local university. I also did publications and newsletters for a related national group. I resigned from that several years ago, as it was extremely time consuming.

In college I majored in Latin. I taught high-school Latin for a couple of years. I also worked for two years as an editorial proofreader for a legal publishing firm. That was a very painstaking, detail-oriented job and included far more than finding typos. This was long before computers were used in the office workplace.

I was a stay-at-home mom for many years. Twenty years ago I completed a Master of Arts degree in biblical studies, which probably led to my being a religious skeptic today.<g>

I first started using a computer in 1987. My son, then in high school, and I decided to take a summer word processing course at a community college. I wasn't in the class for more than five minutes when I thought this was the most wonderful thing I'd ever seen! Being able to make small changes, move paragraphs around, and keep several alternative versions without having to retype the whole thing seemed miraculous--especially considering that everything I wrote in college and graduate school was done on a manual typewriter. In a week we had our own computer, a Tandy 1000SX with 384K of RAM and two 5-1/4-inch floppy disk drives.

I started using Linux in 2000 or so, mainly out of curiosity. The first distro I used was Mandrake and back then, it wasn't all that good. I finally got fed up with it and removed it from my computer. Then I went into a period where old computers kept coming into my life--my son's law firm upgraded their computers and gave the old ones to employees and eventually it came to me. My daughter-in-law got a new computer and gave me the old one. And so forth. I also had a "real" computer for my real work. I decided to try Linux again on the old computers. Eventually I got tired of that, too. It wasn't until I put Linux on a good computer that I really started to like it. Now I have it on all three of my computers and use it far more than XP.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 02:52:20 am »

I work as a file administrator for a credit management company. I'm doing this job for the last 9 months now. Before that I studied economics.

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 04:18:45 am »

I do something similar like |nic|, being Credit Control for an international company as-well as responsible for a new software suite we intend to use.

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 06:41:25 am »

Marine engineer working for the a classification society http://www.gl-group.com/maritime/fleet/3588.htm
Using Linux on private basis at home since OS/2 abandomed the HO from SO
Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: