VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 01:53:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay VL user, what do you do for work?  (Read 20929 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2007, 12:19:35 pm »

currently software process coordinator + R&D Engineer at a major corp.
past gigs include teaching and software development. thats pretty much it.
i have participated in a lot of other activities and management and organization stuff.. but not professionally.   most of the time i love to learn new things and do fun stuff like sports etc.

Hey what are the moderators doing? this whole religion thing is way out of line for this thread!
despite requests from metvas, those posts seem to not go away.

cheers
ram

They haven't become overly insulting, so I see no need to remove them. Maybe split them off into a new thread.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2007, 12:20:12 pm »

I have to side with ram on this one...

This is way out of line, looks like someone wanted to start a fun thread and we ended up with a religion/science and everything else thread

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2007, 12:23:06 pm »

hey cintyram,

So ... software process coordinator.  Are you managing developers working on software projects, or is that something different.  Also, what kind of research and development, or are you allowed to talk about it?

You're right, the whole religion thing got way out of hand.  I'm sorry I ever mentioned the topic, but it seemed relevant at the time since it recently has had something to do with my job.  My mistake for even bringing it up.

I guess the mods let these things go on, even when they're completely off-topic, at least in the Lounge.  I was glad that metvas asked us to move on, since I was ready to move on.  I suppose the posts will stay up, since they're already there, but as far as I'm concerned they could all be deleted, including mine which started the whole thing.  I really don't like flame wars, and religion and politics tend to lead to that pretty quickly.

Having said that ...Hitler!  http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/tomh38/hitlersbanjo0dt6fc.gif?t=1185394918

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2007, 12:34:47 pm »

Next time you feel like flaming a fellow Vectorian, go here instead:

http://www.com.uvigo.es/~ediaz/billg/billg.html

He deserves it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:58:15 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2007, 12:36:48 pm »

Interestingly enough Mordor was based on the Black Country, In the West Mindlands of England.  Tolken spent quite a bit of time in the district of Birmingham called Moseley.  Several of its then features are in the Hobbit and in the Lord of the Rings as the Shire.  The Black Country was so called because of the wealth of small and not so small scale metal bashing industries that existed at the time.  Which included in many areas back yard foundries where women made chains or nails.  This, the pits that many men worked at, the steel works etc, created a landscape of boiling black clouds, fires everywhere and the sweated labour of about a million people.  This was his template for Mordor.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2007, 12:37:30 pm »

hehe Wink
nice one nubcnubdo

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2007, 12:41:36 pm »

Godwin's Law validated

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2007, 12:46:03 pm »

Lyn:  I've never heard or read that.  Very interesting to know.  Thanks.

nubcnubdo, hanumizzle:  good ones, thanks.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2007, 12:52:41 pm »

Interestingly enough Mordor was based on the Black Country, In the West Mindlands of England.  Tolken spent quite a bit of time in the district of Birmingham called Moseley.  Several of its then features are in the Hobbit and in the Lord of the Rings as the Shire.  The Black Country was so called because of the wealth of small and not so small scale metal bashing industries that existed at the time.  Which included in many areas back yard foundries where women made chains or nails.  This, the pits that many men worked at, the steel works etc, created a landscape of boiling black clouds, fires everywhere and the sweated labour of about a million people.  This was his template for Mordor.

Wow...that reminds me of Riddley Walker.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2007, 01:02:46 pm »

hanumizzzle ... dude ... I have got to read that book

When you get uploaded I want access to your /home directory just so that I can find out all the books you've read.  Don't worry, I'm only asking for read access.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2007, 01:31:56 pm »

hanumizzzle ... dude ... I have got to read that book

When you get uploaded I want access to your /home directory just so that I can find out all the books you've read.  Don't worry, I'm only asking for read access.

Maybe, but you'll have to crawl through scads of pr0n to get to my books.

Truthfully, I have a number of electronically stored books in /home/docs; that's where you'd look.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2007, 02:27:39 pm »

well, was fun to read about your jobs. I think the religion topic was no offensive, a little out of topic though. My opinion about religion was already exposed in other threads, so I will be no boring with you again  Cheesy.

Lyn, that info is interesting, even more knowing Tolkien was a critic of modernism and the way the tech "progess" was implemented.
Is really interesting, Christopher Tolkien points that the firsts books are related to a theological interest of his father, and the next ones are the fruit of a more philosophical approach. I always think about Aragorn as a perfect idea of a man, in an humanistic way. He has wisdom, he is a warrior, a moral authority and a good friend. He has to death just because he is still a human. He finds the divine in himself, but he cant go beyond his humanity. In a way he is a symbol about the human condition. He can make a hero from himself, but he cant be an inmortal god, and there [in his mortal humanity] resides his force.

About the jobs of the vectorians, the pattern is like ovious, but I guess any person who likes science, math, and that kind of stuff will be interested in linux. I am interested on free software philosophy too. So I guess a person interested on ethics and politics can be interested in linux too. IMO, linux is the first successful implementation of an old ideal of science, which is about people sharing knowledge in order to improve the things around for the good of the community. It proves ideals can be realized and things can be done thinking in more than just money.

Truthfully, I have a number of electronically stored books in /home/docs; that's where you'd look.

That would be interesting to see. I think a man is what he reads  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 04:28:05 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2007, 03:51:25 pm »

Or rather, a man is the pirated CHM files he reads.

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2007, 09:25:03 pm »

You guys kill me I was laughing so hard at nubcnubdo's video clip I was out of breath. Good one!!! hanumizzle what do you not know? Would take a lot less space in the forum lol :>)
regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2007, 12:06:10 am »

Lyn:  I've never heard or read that.  Very interesting to know.  Thanks.

nubcnubdo, hanumizzle:  good ones, thanks.

I used to live in Moseley before I moved back to Cardiff and Wales.   It still is a very bohemian district, a stone's throw away from the Balti belt of Birmingham (where the balti was invented :-) .   When the first Lord of the Rings film was in development a Finnish film crew were wandering round the place doing a documentary about the links and those that were still visible.  As for the Black Country, its now de industrialised and the home forges are now a thing of the past.  Though a lot of the older terraced houses still have a run of out buildings that were previously, scullery/washroom, brew house (metal bashing is thirsty work) forge and outside toilet. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: