VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 10:49:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay VL user, what do you do for work?  (Read 20925 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2007, 12:46:57 am »

Wow...that reminds me of Riddley Walker.

Not heard of, but thanks for the link - it sounds interesting.... of course A Canticle for Leibowitz is one of my favorite novels, I read it every year...
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2007, 04:25:15 am »

I've read A Canticle for Leibowitz four or five times.  The first time I read it I was about twelve, so there was a lot of stuff I didn't understand.  The second time was in my third year of undergrad, so I had studied some Latin, and I understood more.  After that I just read it because it's a well-written and powerful story.  Now that it's been brought up here I think I'll read it again.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2007, 04:49:49 am »

I wrote a detailed reply including Bible chapter and verse to illustrate some of my points. However, some people are obviously uncomfortable with this subject and it's really off topic, so I decided not to post it.
I would really like to read your reply if you are willing for me to. Perhaps you could send it to my email although I'm often very slow to respond. If you don't that's fine too of course as I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. I just learn more through such dialog.

I hope all of us with differing opinions can remain on friendly terms with each other.
I must agree with this. My line of work requires this on a daily basis. (Patients, at times, will not appreciate my opinion. Sometimes that opinion might be wrong but I hope it's never because I was negligent in my application of medical knowledge.)  Shocked Besides, I have "thick skin" and a generally friendly disposition.  Smiley

Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2007, 04:28:21 pm »

Wow...that reminds me of Riddley Walker.

Not heard of, but thanks for the link - it sounds interesting.... of course A Canticle for Leibowitz is one of my favorite novels, I read it every year...

I recommend the book to anyone who grasps English well enough to read the book's degenerate dialect, which is full of subtlety and distant memory. In particular to anyone who lives in the British Isles.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
ronnyquest

« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2009, 08:15:13 am »

I'm curious what the majority of Linux users are.  I know many are students, some retired.  But what is your career?  Or what was, or will be your career?
Well, let's see...

I went to college and got a degree in geology.

Then, I joined the Army, became a paratrooper, then moved into Special Operations.

Then, I was offered a civilian job making lots of money with no bullets flying at me, so I left the Army and worked for a number of years as a systems engineer. 

I've been a student part of the time in the astrophysics program at one of the local universities.  Sometimes, I'm a mathematics major at a local college.

During that post-Army stretch of employment, I had a few surgeries and some lengthy hospital stays, and nearly died because of a nasty infection that necessitated another round of surgical procedures.  I stopped working for about ten months to recover after that last one.

Then, I went back to work and had a couple heart attacks, so I sort of retired.

Now, I'm just a slacker who spends my time working on my home systems.  Life is funny that way.  I have way too many hobbies.

Compaq Presario 900Z (AMD Athlon MP, 1.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 30 GB HDD) - VL 6.0 Standard
Gateway Laptop (Celeron M 1.60 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD) - VL 6.0
2 x Homebrew PCs (AMD Phenom II X4 965, 4096MB RAM, 500 GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5700, ASUS M4A79XTD EVO) - VL 7.0-64
Bjrnarlinux

« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2009, 02:52:01 pm »

As i've said in my intro pst i'm a school assistant( i think teachers aide is the correct english term) which means i mostly spend my days helping the kids with special needs, syndromes, etc. I wound up with this after drifting around after leaving vidaregåande( high school i think) drifting around. I applied for the norwegian railway school with the aim og becoming a traffic controller, but i was to young at the time. Then i was called into the military, which i didn't want to do. So i declared myself a conscientious objector and spent a week in the kings royal guard. Then i was enrolled into the civil service( which you have to do if you're a conscientious objector) and got a job at a local school. When i had done my duty i applied for a job as a school assistant here in Oslo and got it. Been here since!

I actually stumbled into Linux because of my political views. I'm a communist and a lot of us see Linux as the first instance of a communistic way of working being succesful. So i tried Ubuntu and it worked great.

Then i got an itch to try something new, and heard about VL. Tried 5.9, didn't work. gave up, went back to Ubuntu, but i couldn't shake Vl away. So when 6.0 came out i tried it again and got it to work! And here i am!

Bjørnar

Life is Beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.

Leon Trotskys last words
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2009, 03:23:26 pm »

Regret to say nothing exciting, callcentre... it could be worse... though had hoped to work on a recycling program with my company's machines, we decided to keep them and just cope with the problems that that involved.  Otherwise I might have been able to turn out 1000+ Vector machines... ah well can't get everything I wanted.
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2009, 06:21:11 pm »

30+ years in the Telecom, CLEC, Cable and Metro Wireless business.

Publisher of Cigar Weekly (Internet-based cigar magazine, www.cigarweekly.com).

Co-founder (with sledgehammer) of the Reno Cigar Lions and our Computers for Kids program.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2009, 08:55:44 pm »

Updated plans

My aim is to become a neuroscientist

Either computational or cognitive

But probably computational

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=b7b66ad9c0d5a7df21d9488b107256ae&tab=core&_cview=1&cck=1&au=&ck=

DARPA’s Defense Sciences Office is soliciting innovative research proposals in the area of Systems of Neuromorphic Adaptive Plastic Scalable Electronics (SyNAPSE).  Proposed research should investigate innovative approaches that enable revolutionary advances in neuromorphic electronic devices that are scalable to biological levels.

Let's leave the world a better place than it was before we came into it

o/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:58:24 pm by Döden » Logged

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
lighans

www.fali.nl

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2009, 09:12:29 am »

Well, I'm a teacher biology on a secondary school (NL).

AMD Turion 64, 1Gb RAM, 60Gb (pardus 2008 and VL6.0 STD)
AAO d150 25Gb /,135 Gb mnt/archive, no swap 1024Mb Ram (VL6.0 STD)
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2009, 04:54:03 pm »

Hello,

Finally moved back to my home country (in Latin America) after a long and arduous job search in The States. Found a job instantly as an English and music teacher. Being a (semi-)native English speaker with a bachelor's degree is a huge advantage around these parts; we're talking double-digit unemployment rates here.

My elementary students are cute, love 'em all. My high school students are possessed by The Devil (i may be wrong).

And i don't miss those low temperatures. . .

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2009, 06:19:10 am »

Hello,

Finally moved back to my home country (in Latin America)

Welcome back to the neighborhood.

My high school students are possessed by The Devil

Cool.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
linux411

« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2009, 05:11:18 pm »

Optical Laboratory Technician. Been using Linux since SLS was around in about '93 if I remember correctly. Then went to Slackware, then RedHat, then SUSE, then Debian, etc, etc, etc. LOL Been steady with Slackware for about 5 years now. Really enjoy VectorLinux so I'm trying it again. Like editing config files more than gui editors. A big "AWESOME JOB" goes out to all those involved in creating, updating and improving VectorLinux. Been through all of the top 100 and more on Ladislav Bodnar's listing. Of the "Derivative" Linux distros (hope no one minds the word I chose), I have to say VectorLinux is the best.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!

Slackin' since '93.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: