VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 02:05:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iriver usb not charging with soho  (Read 1400 times)
mr_volvo

« on: July 23, 2007, 07:24:57 am »

Background: When I was using 5.8 standard my mp3 player (an iRiver T20 - UMS/Euro version) would only charge after I had unmounted it (by clicking the unmount sda icon). Otherwise it never seemed to actually be recharging. That was survivable; I would transfer files, unmount, wait for device to charge.

New Problem: With soho it charges for about the first minute after you plug it in, then it freezes and doesn't charge at all. If I unmount it I get this (After running: tail -f /var/log/messages)

Jul 23 17:11:31 vector vl-hot_umount: Starting vl-hot_umount...
Jul 23 17:11:32 vector sudo:    david : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/david ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/lib/udev/vl-hot_umount sda desktopicon unmount /home/david/Desktop/vl-hot-sda-vol.desktop
Jul 23 17:11:32 vector vl-hot_umount: Starting vl-hot_umount...
Jul 23 17:11:32 vector vl-hot_umount: devname: sda
Jul 23 17:11:32 vector vl-hot_umount: mountbase: sda
Jul 23 17:11:32 vector vl-hot_umount: volname: vol
Jul 23 17:11:32 vector vl-hot_umount: unmount /mnt/vl-hot/sda/vol
Jul 23 17:11:32 vector vl-hot_umount: umounting /mnt/vl-hot/sda/vol
Jul 23 17:11:32 vector vl-hot_umount: Deleting desktop file vl-hot-sda-vol.desktop
Jul 23 17:11:32 vector vl-hot_umount: removing /mnt/vl-hot/sda/vol
Jul 23 17:11:32 vector sudo:    david : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/david ; USER=david ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/notify-send -u Normal -t 5000 -i /usr/share/vl-hot/vl-hot.png -c device.removed VL-Hot unmount notification sda is now safely unmounted...
Jul 23 17:11:34 vector vl-hot_umount: No partitions remaining, rmdir /mnt/vl-hot/sda/
Jul 23 17:11:34 vector vl-hot_umount: Finishing vl-umount...

But it definitely isn't charging...If I remove it it runs out of power almost immediately.

Now another (less troubling) issue is that with all usb devices they seem to tell me they are connected even after they have been unmounted. With my mp3 player if I disconnect it in WinXP the screen (on the player) changes and tells me that it is now only "Recharging" not "USB Connect", whereas with Vector it always says "USB Connect". On my SD card the blue LED turns off after disconnection in Windows, this doesn't happen in Vector. It doesn't really worry me if it is happening to everyone...just wondering.

Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:34:40 am »

Not having any similar device, I'm not sure what to suggest. I have a feeling this might hal interfering, since it's used in 5.8 SOHO, but not in 5.8 Standard. Anyway, I can't really think of a reason why a USB device shouldn't be able to charge all the time it is plugged in, specially while mounted. Only if the kernel shuts down power to the USB port can I understand it, but that definitely doesn't happen while mounted. Must be some design limitation of the device itself.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
mr_volvo

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 01:23:19 am »

Hmmm... Well I guess this is a reason to buy a new mp3 player then. Smiley

What about the second issue, does everyone else's devices work like this?

Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 07:04:31 am »

Yes, it work in the same way here. To avoid confusions: When I umount my device, I lose the mount point of course, but there is no kernel message at all, and I am able to re-mount the device if I want to. A kernel message appears only when I unplug the device.
The only thing I can think about this is may be this issue has something to do with the kernel upgrade for soho.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: