VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 11:09:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: recording sound  (Read 2136 times)
mick12345678
Vectorite

« on: July 24, 2007, 12:03:10 pm »

I want to record from Firefox streaming audio (Internet radio).
I have the music playing, then I startup "mhWaveEdit 1.4.9" and select play/record/low quality and I get an error : "error opening ALSA device "default" for recording : Invalid argument".

I am on VL 5.8 Standard.

Can anyone give me a clue where to start ?
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:32:00 am »

I decided to begin with something more basic.
I messed about with "alsamixer" and "arecord" and finally

arecord -d 10 -c 2 -t wav -f cd -D plug:dsnoop test.wav

gave me
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo

and "aplay test.wav" was successful
i.e. I can now record a wav from streaming web audio.

Now, back to mhWaveEdit..

Under "edit/preferences/sound/settings/recording device" it was defaulting to "hw".
I tried changing this to "plug:dsnoop". It allows this, but then when I try to record it says
"this format is not supported by the input driver" (whatever format I choose).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:54:19 am by mick12345678 » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 01:43:22 am »

I want to record from Firefox streaming audio (Internet radio).
I have the music playing, then I startup "mhWaveEdit 1.4.9" and select play/record/low quality and I get an error : "error ope,ning ALSA device "default" for recording : Invalid argument".

I am on VL 5.8 Standard.

Can anyone give me a clue where to start ?

If the radiostream is a "Shoutcast" stream, you can use 'streamripper', there's a package in the repository. It should record streams to mp3. (I'm not quite sure how well it works). Can you give a link to the radio stream you want to record from so I can try recording it as well?

i.e. I can now record a wav from streaming web audio.
I don't really understand the way alsa 'devices' are set up, and I must say I was rather surprised to read you got it recording at all.

Under "edit/preferences/sound/settings/recording device" it was defaulting to "hw".
I tried changing this to "plug:dsnoop". It allows this, but then when I try to record it says
"this format is not supported by the input driver" (whatever format I choose).
mhwaveedit is sort of user picky with that. For me 16 bit @ 48000 Hz works with ALSA. If mhwaveedit keeps behaving badly, you can try audacity instead.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 03:04:08 am »

mick12345678

Thanks for the updates on your findings.  I've never tried to record audio with Linux, but I know I will at some point.  Nice to have this post as reference for myself and others.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 03:08:27 am »

If the radiostream is a "Shoutcast" stream, you can use 'streamripper', there's a package in the repository. It should record streams to mp3. (I'm not quite sure how well it works).
Works very well, actually. Though I've only tried it through one of the GUI frontends. Not always perfect at auto-splitting into separate songs, but I guess it happens when there was no "whitespace" (silence) in between.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 04:02:30 am »

GrannyGeek had a similar problem several months ago but that thread seems to be "lost". Maybe she will reply here with her solution. I believe she ended up using Audacity with good results.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 11:14:17 am »

I must say I was rather surprised to read you got it recording at all.
Not half as surprised as I was  Cheesy

I use Audacity on XP (for multitrack recording using a mike) and it works well, though its probably a sledgehammer for the little nut I want to crack.

Would like to persevere with mhWaveedit for a while, but will install Audacity if my patience runs out  Roll Eyes

My stream is not Shoutcast - its at www.pandora.com (try it - I recommend it, though you need a USA ZIP code to register  Wink
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 12:05:42 pm by mick12345678 » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 08:55:07 pm »

I've recorded streaming audio with Audacity. I haven't done much of it. As I recall, it was a bit difficult to figure out exactly what settings I wanted to use. It did work, however.

I've also recorded with Exaile. That's pretty easy--have the station playing and just click on the Record button. Exaile is a front end for Streamripper. There are lengthy man pages for streamripper, none of which I understand.

Mostly I capture operas and don't care much about division into tracks. I don't know enough about any of this to be very helpful.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 11:47:53 am »

I had to admit defeat with mhwaveedit , but have managed to install Audacity and am pleased to say it only took a few minutes to get it to record the stream from Pandora, and then exporting it directly to MP3 also worked  Grin.
Audacity seems to want to use OSS devices instead of ALSA, but I am going to live with that for now  Shocked
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: