VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 04:48:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 070724 - Circuslinux  (Read 3275 times)
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: July 24, 2007, 02:06:27 pm »

Another game package by exeterdad, its available for download from the testing repository:

Source: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/source/testing/games/circuslinux/
Package: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/testing/games/circuslinux-1.0.3-i586-1vl58.tlz

Code:
circuslinux: circuslinux (Circus Linux!)
circuslinux:
circuslinux: "Circus Linux!" based on the Atari 2600 game Circus Atari by Atari,
circuslinux: released in 1980.  Gameplay is similar to "Breakout" and "Arkanoid" -
circuslinux: you slide a device left and right to bounce objects in the air which
circuslinux: destroy a wall. The clowns are trying to pop balloons to score points
circuslinux:
circuslinux:
circuslinux: License: GPL
circuslinux: Author: Bill Kendrick, <bill@newbreedsoftware.com>
circuslinux: Website: http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/circus-linux/

Post comments for this package here.

Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 12:09:15 am »

Just installed, runs from the command line, but no entry in Xfce menue on VL 5.8 standard version.
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 02:58:58 am »

That's odd.  I just tried it on a couple of my VL installs and the desktop entry appears.  Is the circuslinux.desktop located in /usr/share/applications?
cat /usr/share/applications/circuslinux.desktop

I'm using VL5.8 Standard as well.  Thanks for the report BTW  Smiley
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 01:08:00 am »

this is what I get when I try to run that...

lyn:$ cat /usr/share/applications/circuslinux.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Monsterz
GenericName=Monsterz Puzzle Game
Comment=Puzzle game, similar to Bejeweled or Zookeeper
Exec=monsterz
Icon=monsterz.xpm
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Game;StrategyGame;X-Fedora;
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.10

Not sure what I make of that.....  I have monsterz installed and an icon apears from that in the games folder of the xfce menu. 
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 03:11:25 am »

I am very puzzled!  I downloaded both Circus Linux and Monsterz and took peeks at the .desktop files thinking I may of messed one up somehow and got them swapped.  Because I had to make one of them and used the other as a template.

But they are okay.  I'm kinda stumped.  But a quick fix for you would be to overwrite the circuslinux.desktop with this command.  It will still uninstall properly when the time comes.  Do this as root:

Code:
cat > /usr/share/applications/circuslinux.desktop << EOF
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Circus Linux!
Exec=circuslinux --fullscreen
Comment=Circus Atari Clone
Icon=circuslinux.xpm
Encoding=UTF-8
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.3
Categories=Game;Application;
EOF

Now...  just for the heck of it can you show me what the monsterz.desktop looks like?

Code:
cat /usr/share/applications/monsterz.desktop
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 12:05:41 am »

lyn:$ cat /usr/share/applications/monsterz.desktop
cat: /usr/share/applications/monsterz.desktop: No such file or directory

Which is just plain odd, as there is an entry in the menu for monsterz and it plays very nicely.  However there isn't an entry under /usr/share/applications for circuslinux.desktop

I think somewhere along the line something is screwed up - and it may well be me :-)
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 01:47:43 pm »

I found the problem.  I built circuslinux first.  Then I used that build script as a template to build monsterz since they are built pretty much the same way.  I missed a change to the script.  So it created a monsterz menu entry named circuslinux.desktop.

I bet you installed circuslinux first, then monsterz.

The circuslinux installed correctly.  Monsterz replaced the good circuslinux.desktop with a monsterz one posing as circuslinux.desktop.  But visually would look like a monsterz.desktop.  Okay, that confused the heck out of me.  lol

Here's a quick fix for you and whoever installed these.  I will fix the monsterz package.

To restore Circus Linux.
Code:
cat > /usr/share/applications/circuslinux.desktop << EOF
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Circus Linux!
Exec=circuslinux --fullscreen
Comment=Circus Atari Clone
Icon=circuslinux.xpm
Encoding=UTF-8
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.3
Categories=Game;Application;
EOF

To create the REAL Monsterz menu entry.

Code:
cat > /usr/share/applications/monsterz.desktop << EOF
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Monsterz
GenericName=Monsterz Puzzle Game
Comment=Puzzle game, similar to Bejeweled or Zookeeper
Exec=monsterz
Icon=monsterz.xpm
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Game;StrategyGame;X-Fedora;
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.10
EOF

I'm very sorry about that!  I'll fix it right away.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 01:47:53 am »

Wonderful!  That works perfectly!  Thank you for picking this up and solving this so quickly, my neice loves circus linux.... and yes you were right I installed them that way round.    See this is one of the things I love about Vector, quick fixes and helpful people - even for something as trivial as two small games.
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 07:45:49 am »

even for something as trivial as two small games.

Honestly I have selfish reasons for wanting these games working properly.  I've been on a quest to get more "kiddie" games in our repo.  One of my sons (4 year old) has been using his slimmed down Windows 98 for his educational and not so educational games since he was two.  He's ready to move on his first VL install.  I want to make sure it holds his interest when I make the switch.  I am VERY tired of constantly having to reconfigure and fix his Windows 98.

Who knows, at the rate he's be learning, he might be ready to build packages for VL6?   Cheesy

Glad to see all is working for you now, and someone is enjoying the games.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: