VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 05:52:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: tftp  (Read 1210 times)
mick12345678
Vectorite

« on: July 24, 2007, 02:37:20 pm »

I want to run a tftp server on my XP PC and a client on my VL PC. Both machines are on the same LAN, so I don't want to use DNS - I want to simply express the destination with an IP address.
How do I do this, when Linux tftp client seems to only accept a 'host' in name format ? Is there an equivalent of a 'localhosts' file where I can enter something like "XP PC = 192.168.1.3" ?
(update : I think /etc/hosts is what I was looking for)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:13:34 am by mick12345678 » Logged
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 10:07:46 am »

progress : I have got a Host entry for the XP PC and I can do "ping xp" and that works.
When I run a TFTP server on the XP machine and try to xfer files it doesnt work - this might be because of the server though (shareware I just downloaded).
I would like to try it the other way around : run the client on the XP PC and the server on the VL, but "tftpd" doesnt seem to be included with VL5.8 standard. Can I get a server from anywhere ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: