VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Cups not working  (Read 2832 times)

mr_volvo

Cups not working
« on: August 02, 2007, 06:43:43 am »

hi
I have been trying to connect to a printer shared from my desktop. Cups works fine on that PC (a very fresh install) but on my laptop it doesn't seem to load at all. I have cups set to start in the service settings in VASM.  I have tried removing and reinstalling cups from gslapt (for some reason I can't find 1.2.10 in the repository but I am sure that is what was installed initially).

root:# /etc/init.d/cups restart
/etc/init.d/cups: line 144: x/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/lib/java/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin: No such file or directory
cups: restarted scheduler.

http://localhost:631/ cannot be found.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some help, I don't really want to start with a fresh OS.
Oh, I'm running 5.8 SOHO Final.
Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)

wcs

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Cups not working
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 07:03:32 am »

Maybe a firewall issue? (at least, that was a problem for me at some point)
Try stopping it, and see if there's any difference.

mr_volvo

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:30:33 am »

BANG! I stopped the firewall and the cups page started immediately, turns out it was just waiting to pop up.

cheers!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 07:36:01 am by mr_volvo »
Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)

wcs

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:18:37 am »

BANG! I stopped the firewall and the cups page started immediately

Maybe you can configure the firewall so that it allows that connection. I suppose that using vasm you can have the firewall running but keeping port 631 open. (or something to this effect).