VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 07:59:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Roadmap to 6.0  (Read 28332 times)
mithion

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 08:28:27 am »

My personal experience with Xorg 7.x hasn't been good.  I don't know how many times I've had to mess around with it to make it work just right on other distros.  I have read a little bit about xorg 7.3 and that seems very promissing.  So IMHO, I would wait till 7.3 comes out and evaluate how functional and stable it is.  If it is as grand as it is promised, I would impletent that one in VL 6.0.  In the meantime, people who require a super fast stable system to do high computing like large scale simulation can look at VL as great OS to use.  These people don't care too much about advanced graphics.  And xorg 7.x has not been very nice to users if you ask me. 
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 10:05:01 am »

Even though it would be cool to roll out VL6 now (thats how I felt at first), I guess having a continuation of the 5.x series is fine too.
That will give time to work on developing (and hardening) some of the new goodies for VL 6 like VASM2 and the installer...
Who knows, maybe Slackware 12 also gets a revision and bugfixes meanwhile Smiley

mithion

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 10:12:59 am »

VASM2....... (drooling)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 10:37:43 am »

If any of you would like a sneak peak at the work we are doing on the 5.8.X line you can grab an iso from here http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/old-pkgs/
they are labeled 5.8.2-SOHO now but who knows what they will end up being called, more than likely 5.8.6
the iso's have been updated daily or at most every other day so if your looking for something permanent this probly isnt it.
also this is a secret so dont tell anyone   Wink
Thanks,
Uelsk8s
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 02:19:04 pm »

Don't you think we should at least wait for 4.0.2? AFAICT, this is a very major rewrite of KDE, bound to be buggy at first.

I agree.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 02:31:50 pm »

I guess I should say that I'm finding 5.8 Standard to be great and am not salivating for something newer--yet. The time will come when programs that are important to me (Scribus, Inkscape, Gimp) may require things that aren't in Standard and at that time I'll be looking for an updated VectorLinux. But right now, I can't imagine anything better than 5.8 Standard with XFce 4.4 (no-hal).

I will, of course, test betas and Release Candidates of a new VL on my 1.3 GHz testbed desktop.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 03:00:17 pm »

On the subject of wireless networking, wpa_supplicant has a feature called "roaming" which basically means it scans for networks and connects to them if they are inserted in the wpa_supplicant.conf profile:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=17199

Seems like a nice enough alternative to NetworkManager, seeing as it doesn't require any other daemons, it can handle open and WEP connections too, and is desktop-environment agnostic! (yay, no need to have tons of GNOME libraries installed!).
Also, it assumes control over the ifconfig command for the interfaces it it assigned to, so it takes care of connections by itself (this is especially nice for those recovering from a suspended session on a laptop for example - no need to bring the network interface down and manually remove and reinsert the card's kernel module).

Maybe a VL-specific wireless app is something to consider - a frontend to wpa_supplicant that can control the configuration?

I'm just kind of tired of seeing other projects pop up that conflict with VL's philosophy or are simply not designed to be used on distros other than Ubuntu  Roll Eyes

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 04:13:45 am »

Since Slackware (12) ships with binutils-2.17.50.0.17 and glibc-2.5 I'd like us to take advantage of the newly implemented DT_GNU_HASH.  If packages were built with --hash-style=gnu in the LDFLAGS we will achieve 50% dynamic linking improvement. 

Fedora, Ubuntu Feisty, Frugalware, and many other distros are using it.  In fact they have rebuilt all or most packages with it. I think LDFLAGS should be set using the new hash style like how our CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are set now, assure all future packages take advantage of this.

We are known to have a super fast loading KDE.  But having KDE load 50% faster even still?  Nice.

Some links:

When DT_GNU_HASH was a patch:
http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2006-06/msg00418.html

Fedora discussion.  Talking about getting ready for mass rebuild.  There's a short and easy to understand explanation about --hash-style=gnu
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2006-July/msg00158.html

Release announcement of binutils-2.17.50.0.17 with tree prepatched with DT_GNU_HASH.
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-06/msg00631.html

Just a thought  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 04:45:43 am by exeterdad » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 08:30:49 am »

On the subject of wireless networking, wpa_supplicant has a feature called "roaming" which basically means it scans for networks and connects to them if they are inserted in the wpa_supplicant.conf profile:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=17199

Seems like a nice enough alternative to NetworkManager, seeing as it doesn't require any other daemons, it can handle open and WEP connections too, and is desktop-environment agnostic! (yay, no need to have tons of GNOME libraries installed!).
Also, it assumes control over the ifconfig command for the interfaces it it assigned to, so it takes care of connections by itself (this is especially nice for those recovering from a suspended session on a laptop for example - no need to bring the network interface down and manually remove and reinsert the card's kernel module).

Maybe a VL-specific wireless app is something to consider - a frontend to wpa_supplicant that can control the configuration?

I'm just kind of tired of seeing other projects pop up that conflict with VL's philosophy or are simply not designed to be used on distros other than Ubuntu  Roll Eyes

I agree with all of this.  I would point out, though, that sometimes I can connect and get an IP address from a weak connection with Network Manager when Wifi-Radar just won't do it.  I don't know why that is but it's been my experience.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 10:23:20 pm »

Features more oriented to laptops would be nice. I'd like to run Vector natively on my Santa Rosa MacBookPro. (Right now still bogged down with gpt hybrid though this helped. Thinking gpt, osx, storage, winos, plus any linux stuff efi-only non-mbr synced).

I would consider the 5.x releases a resounding success as many with 5.1 won't move to 5.8 for fear of loosing a beautiful thing.

That's me lol. I'm still using 5.1.1SOHO as my primary OS on my desktop.  Cool Cheesy

DrCR

Dual,independant WinXP installs via Grub hiding, VectorLinux 5.1.1SOHO
------
MacBook Pro Santa Rosa, 2.2GHz,  WD Scorpio 250GB WD2500BEVS, Pending Tuxized Apple Logo Mod
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 10:25:05 pm by DrCR » Logged
mithion

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 08:10:25 am »

One thing that popped in my mind this morning.  Since VL is suppose to be tailored for workstation usage, full 64bit support would be awesome for 6.0.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 08:39:14 am »

I would consider the 5.x releases a resounding success as many with 5.1 won't move to 5.8 for fear of loosing a beautiful thing.

That's me lol. I'm still using 5.1.1SOHO as my primary OS on my desktop.  Cool Cheesy

5.1 was a very good release.  5.8 is much better and the SOHO release in particular was nearly flawless.  I have very high expectations for 5.8.6 and 6.0.  The amount of additional software in the repositories for 5.8 is reason enough to upgrade.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 04:28:57 pm »

The amount of additional software in the repositories for 5.8 is reason enough to upgrade.
Precisely, I might not be having this problem if I was running 5.8SOHO. I also appreciate the growing attention to our repo's quality in recent times. I'd say a large part of it is I have 5.1.1SOHO just the way I like it and haven't taking the time to configure 5.8SOHO for my primary (it already resides on another partition).

Nothing special really. I would like to put in a plug for nuvola in future VLs though.  Grin

I'm really excited about the future releases to come too. Vector simply fits what I'm looking for in the Linux world. Well, the *nix world really. I'm still liking my 5.1.1SOHO experience over OS 10.4.10. Keep up the good work!  Smiley

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2007, 04:05:04 am »

The first dependency issue caused by 5.8.6 (or by misplacing a package built on it) is a fact: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3878.msg25413#msg25413

Now, I'd like to know just a few things:

-  I thought 5.8.6 SOHO wasn't going to update anything except xorg / kde! Now, are there any other programs that have been updated?

-  The package for 5.8.6 should've NEVER made it to the repo. It should be somewhere in a /veclinux-5.8.6-SOHO/packages/ (or something similar) directory, but that doesn't exist?? You repo guys aren't just putting the 5.8.6 packages inside the 5.8 SOHO or even the 5.8 standard repo's now are you? This way we could loose the original packages that were in there and have them be replaced by faulty ones (like this one).

- Why on earth wasn't this package built on a clean install of standard so everybody can enjoy it?

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 05:36:36 am »

The first dependency issue caused by 5.8.6 (or by misplacing a package built on it) is a fact: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3878.msg25413#msg25413

Now, I'd like to know just a few things:

-  I thought 5.8.6 SOHO wasn't going to update anything except xorg / kde! Now, are there any other programs that have been updated?

-  The package for 5.8.6 should've NEVER made it to the repo. It should be somewhere in a /veclinux-5.8.6-SOHO/packages/ (or something similar) directory, but that doesn't exist?? You repo guys aren't just putting the 5.8.6 packages inside the 5.8 SOHO or even the 5.8 standard repo's now are you? This way we could loose the original packages that were in there and have them be replaced by faulty ones (like this one).

- Why on earth wasn't this package built on a clean install of standard so everybody can enjoy it?

Indeed. It also appears that the package was added directly to patches/ without having been through the testing repo first Angry
After looking at the thread where lagagnon and nightflier announce tested packages, the latest updated pidgin package moved to patches was 2.0.1, so 2.1.0 was not added according to procedure...

EDIT:

Since VL 5.8.6 is going ahead, there should already be a dedicated repository for it, so that this kind of thing does not repeat itself.
Looks like for VL 6 some strict rules need to be made for repository maintenance/branching...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 06:14:55 am by easuter » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: