VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 05:25:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from the Gulf Coast TX-MX  (Read 3011 times)
muskrat

« on: July 26, 2007, 06:25:05 am »

I used VL back before the issued the distros SOHO. And I can't remember exactly why I left, but have recently returned to VL SOHO 5.8 and am really pleased with the development of it.

I live on the gulf coast of Texas and Mexico, and have been using Linux now full time for about 5 or 6 years, and used it part time for several years before that.

So I'm pleased to see my choice of OS coming up in the world. Maybe someday we won't have to compare drive hda1 with drive C:. It'll just be hda1 like it's supposed to be.

Happy tuxxing everybody!

"Who needs windows? When we have no walls!"
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 07:27:50 am »

Hello from Houston muskrat Wink welcome back

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 08:23:38 am »

Maybe someday we won't have to compare drive hda1 with drive C:. It'll just be hda1 like it's supposed to be.
I may have to steal that quote someday  Grin
Welcome back.
muskrat

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 06:43:14 pm »

Hello Houston, I hope we don't have any problems. lol

You can have that qoute, really it's not a qoute it's rant. I already quit using the empires lingo, but often times I have to transalate for the subjects of said empire.

keyfitter

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 08:05:05 pm »

Hello from Houston area,  (Deer Park)

I solved the problem of hda1 or drive c:. VL 5.8. SOHO is my main O.S. A secondary O.S. is VL 5.8. Deluxe.
No Windows needed.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 07:41:37 am »

So I'm pleased to see my choice of OS coming up in the world. Maybe someday we won't have to compare drive hda1 with drive C:. It'll just be hda1 like it's supposed to be.

Hahaha

I think the Unix device convention is more logical. I forget where the DOS/Windows naming system comes from, but it's pretty archaic, and tends to cause problems in my experience. For instance, imagine a PowerPoint that has references to files in E:.  On the computer on which you want to present the PowerPoint they have a network drive and so the PowerPoint sits on F: now...B0RK3D

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 10:27:08 am »

I remember some problems with that. The firsts install cd's used to run process with the path to the cdrom hard coded as D:, later the cd-roms becomes cheap and I had two of them, D: and E:. Of course, a lot of MS programs didnt run on the E: rom. I think I still have a copy of MS Office 97 with this problem. Crappy programming...  Grin

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
muskrat

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 07:12:57 pm »

Not only that but if you have a very large HD and divide it up into partions each on is seen as a seperate drive. pushing the cdroms further back yet until they become drive K or some such. Then you add another drive and it gets worse, some people even write programs to change the drive numbers to what you want.

Having a logical order it's a whole lot easier, to manage and maintain.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 09:45:03 pm »

Not only that but if you have a very large HD and divide it up into partions each on is seen as a seperate drive. pushing the cdroms further back yet until they become drive K or some such. Then you add another drive and it gets worse, some people even write programs to change the drive numbers to what you want.

There's a simple solution for that. Windows allows you to assign a drive letter to your CD-ROM drive(s). *Before* you install any programs from a CD, change the drive letter to something high in the alphabet. I usually use Drive R for the CD-ROM drive. In fact, any drive that might get bumped up if another hard drive is installed is given a letter farther back in the alphabet.

This saves a huge amount of problems.

Why would anyone need to write a program to change the drive letter? Windows has had that ability since Windows 95. You could do it in DOS, too, by adding something to one of the CD-ROM lines in config.sys or autoexec.bat (I don't remember exactly but I used to do it all the time).
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 05:20:44 am »

I usually use Drive R for the CD-ROM drive.
Heh, I've always used R for CD/DVD readers and W for the burner (writer). Always have one of each on desktop PCs. I use R or W on laptops according to whether they have a combo burner or just plain reader, so I remember without thinking too much... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
muskrat

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 07:09:57 am »

I know it's always be able to in windows, but I was taking about a point band click so those uneducated masses could mess up thier own boxes. I know the one I saw was Iomaga, after installing the software for my zip drive, I was given the choice of moving all the drives around except C:.

I don't have windows on any of my boxes, except in the cyber cafe. and that one has windows on hdb, Linux gets the front seat and will always be King in my Box. Grub handles windozs just about anywhere you want to place that trojan.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 08:31:12 am »

muskrat

Hello from St. Louis, Missouri, Muskrat!  I have family who live on the Texas Gulf Coast, so I've been to your part of the world a few times.  I really like it there.

... drive C: ... hmmm ... what's that again?  I seem to remember something about that, Macrosoft ... no ... Microsaff ... no ... I guess I've forgotten. Oh, wait, now I remember!  a:\> format c: [ENTER].  Or something like that.  Grin

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: