VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 09:59:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved] Mplayer missing  (Read 4542 times)
mick12345678
Vectorite

« on: July 26, 2007, 12:14:12 pm »

If I right-click on the desktop and select 'multimedia' , I get a bunch of apps to choose from - all of which are there except for Mplayer. if I select this, nothing at all happens.

Did I do something wrong at install time ?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:56:28 pm by lagagnon » Logged
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 04:19:17 pm »

Maybe you didn't select it from the package list.
Mplayer is listed as an "extra" package that you need to select in the install to get it.

Check the output by running "mplayer" in a terminal, and post whatever messages you get.

Most likely, you'll just need to (re)install it using gslapt.
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 11:56:08 am »

Check the output by running "mplayer" in a terminal, and post whatever messages you get.

This is what I got

user:$ mplayer
mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libsmbclient.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Looks like its not there  Sad

but gslapt says it *is* installed , but with installed size = 0  Huh
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:02:27 pm by mick12345678 » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 05:39:46 pm »

Try starting Mplayer at a terminal prompt like this:
gmplayer

That's what starts the graphical interface of Mplayer.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 02:00:22 am »

mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libsmbclient.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That means that samba is not installed. If you reinstall mplayer with gslapt, samba should be listed as a dependency and will be fetched and installed as well.
Alternatively just select the samba package in gslapt and install it.

I think that samba is only a dependency in some of the newer versions in the repositories.

After samba is installed, mplayer should start with no problems.
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 08:16:16 am »

Try starting Mplayer at a terminal prompt like this:
gmplayer

That's what starts the graphical interface of Mplayer.
tried that ..
user:$ gmplayer
gmplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libsmbclient.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
"smb" reference must mean Samba, as before.

I didn't install Samba at the start as I'm not interested in Networking this machine with Windows (not once I've finished setting it up anyway - surprised that its a dependency. 
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 08:43:16 am »

mick: what version of VL are you using? Because here on both VL5.8 SOHO and VL5.8 Standard mplayer works just fine from either the menu or the command line. Did you do a gslapt- upgrade all recently?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 01:38:47 pm »

I'm on 5.8 Standard.
I have never done an "upgrade all".

When I did the original install though, I was keen to minimise the number of apps so if there was a special check box for mplayer I might well have left it blank.

I don't really need Mplayer - but it  bothers me that it shows up as a menu option when it  isn't actually available.

My previous statement that Mplayer *is* installed may have been inaccurate. When I do a search under gslapt for 'mplayer' , it shows 3 things called 'mplayer' - only 1 of which is installed (and of size zero),  and 'mplayer-extralite' which is also installed.
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 03:40:39 pm »

Mplayer and cups are dependant on the "optional" SAMBA PACKAGE IN 5.8

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 04:52:48 am »

My previous statement that Mplayer *is* installed may have been inaccurate

The different mplayer packages you find in the repos are different versions of mplayer. So far as I know, they are all dependent on samba.
You do seem to have mplayer installed, because you got the message about the missing libsmbclient.

Mplayer can be compiled with or without support for samba. The default compiling option in mplayer (when it comes to samba) is "autodetect". Because samba was present in the machine where mplayer was compiled (I'm guessing) then mplayer ended up detecting samba and doesn't launch without it.

So far as I know, there are only 2 solutions:
1. You install samba. If you don't want to use it at all, then go to VASM as root, choose SERVICE, the SRVSET, then uncheck the samba box for all the runlevels or those that you use. This way, samba will not run at any time, but mplayer still launches. You only have to spend a bit of hard drive space to have samba installed.

2. You compile mplayer yourself. Because samba isn't present in your box, mplayer will be compiled without support for samba, and you can launch it. (the compiling option --disable-smb forces mplayer to be compiled without support for samba, even if it is present).

I suppose the reason the mplayer versions in the repos are compiled with support for samba is that somebody might actually want to use the samba support. The negative side effect for those who don't want it is that samba must be installed as a dependency. Not that negative, though, because you can always turn off the samba service.

(how many times did I say samba in this post?... One more for the record: SAMBA!)

mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 02:03:14 pm »

(how many times did I say samba in this post?... One more for the record: SAMBA!)
I used to have a "Talbot Samba" car - it tended to stall at traffic lights. I sold it to a scrap yard for £10 about  15 years ago  Grin

I decided to uninstall Mplayer. Gslapt did this, apparently, but it still appears in the run menu after a reboot.
When I now look in Gslapt and search for 'mplayer' it shows "ffmpeg" and "plugins" as being installed...

I guess this means that these 2 depend on mplayer (so I probably just broke them)  Roll Eyes .

I dont want to disable any Firefox plugins so maybe I'd better re-install Mplayer - but which one ? Id "Mplayer-extralite" good enough  Huh ?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 01:48:05 pm »

I dont want to disable any Firefox plugins so maybe I'd better re-install Mplayer - but which one ? Id "Mplayer-extralite" good enough

I think the mplayer-extralite package is actually for codecs, and is not enough to run mplayer.

I might be wrong, but I think you won't get any plugins working in firefox if mplayer isn't installed.
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 02:22:47 pm »

Thanks.

Youtube videos are working ok ...does that prove anything ?

Is there a link I could try to test some plugins ?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 03:59:33 pm »

Youtube videos are working ok ...does that prove anything ?

I think those are completely handled by flash, so no mplayer there.

Try these links:

http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger/test.html

http://www.linspire.com/file_types/filetypes.php

Except for the FLI format, all the video files in these websites play fine here.

(mplayer also handles mp3, ogg, and other audio, so you can test with these as well)
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 11:30:38 am »

thanks for the links.

I didn't score too well  Embarrassed

Installed Mplayer & Mplayerlite and  now I can play the MPEG  but the MP3 example is silent (I can play a MP3 file directly through Mplayer though)  Huh
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 11:57:17 am by mick12345678 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: