VectorLinux
August 19, 2014, 10:29:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: another n00b from the great state of Texas  (Read 3806 times)
krazykrakr01

« on: July 26, 2007, 11:55:57 pm »

First, I would like to say thank you to the Vector Gods (lol). You have taken me from having one great computer (3.3ghz processor, 1 gig RAM), one OK computer (500mhz processor, 384mb RAM), and one with a corrupted xp os (500mhz processor, 256mb RAM)) that wouldn't boot to having one great computer, and two very good computers. I run 5.8 SOHO/Win xp on the 384mb RAM machine, and 5.8 Standard on the 256mb machine and am happy with both. The dual boot is much faster & much more useful using Linux than xp. The smaller machine i don't think would even be usable under windows xp. Maybe tolerable if using Win 2000, but i desire to get out from underneath Bill Gates' thumb. Grin
Been using comp for work for about 3 years. Left job of 10 years for moral reasons and decided to take a little time off to study a possible career change. Messed around with Win for about 3 months and saw alot of things that were harder than they needed to be. Also seems there is a lot of patching the boat in Windows. Started using Linux about 2 months ago. Discouraged @ first because of the learning curve(where's the .exe? lol) ,but have been running full speed since my first program compile success(the smile on my face could be seen from Texas to New York!). I have definitely learned more with Linux than I ever could have with M$. Linux just seems more hands on.

Registered mid-june, been lurking in the shadows for about a month trying to sponge everything I could from the Doc's and previous posts. Got a couple of questions i want to post so thought i would introduce myself.
Hope to know enough one day to help out around Vector and Linux.
Chris

krakr01

computer1: 3.2GHz Duo Core intel p4; 1GB RAM; Ubuntu 9.04 /windoze vista (dual)
computer2: 500mhz intel p3; 256mb RAM; Slackware server
computer1: 500mhz intel p3; 384mb RAM; VL5.8 SOHO-final /windoze xp (dual)
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 12:21:37 am »

Hi and welcome Chris, good to see new people, and please feel free to ask questions, I do all the time :-)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:23:42 am »

Welcome Chris!

I like Texas.  I lived there for 6 six months (was working there).  Was in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.  As a matter of fact, my mom lives there still.  The weather is good on her bones  Smiley

I discovered what true "Bar B Q" is all about.  Brisket Gooooooooooooood!

You'll like Linux.  You have the control over your own OS.  Some times that control can bite ya in the butt, but that is what this forum is for!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 04:47:58 am »

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. Another one from Texas, VL is getting popular there!
If you see Manu Ginobili there, please tell him we are going to kick him there if he doesnt play for Argentina at the olimpics  Grin (just kidding, manu).

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 08:44:44 am »

I like Texas.  []

Couldn't agree more Wink  Grin

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 07:43:16 am »

Welcome Chris!

I like Texas.  I lived there for 6 six months (was working there).  Was in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.  As a matter of fact, my mom lives there still.  The weather is good on her bones  Smiley

Well, the weather wouldn't be so good on my ultra-pale Lich body, but nice to have a new user...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 07:44:20 am »

I like Texas.  []

I wonder how rbistolfi thinks Argentinian brisket compares...here comes a flame war...

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 07:58:05 am »

Well, I don't know about brisket, but I have become a huge fan of Brazilian Picanha... Grin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picanha

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 07:59:10 am »

Looks nice.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 08:03:39 am »

Well, I don't know about brisket, but I have become a huge fan of Brazilian Picanha... Grin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picanha

I would eat that!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 10:02:51 am »

I like Texas.  []

I wonder how rbistolfi thinks Argentinian brisket compares...here comes a flame war...

Cheesy Argentinians bbq´s are the best in the world, it is a scientific thing. Ask to lagagnon about them. And the wine is great too, very ligth and gentile, I remember (I dont drink anymore, for philosophical reasons Cheesy). Brisket is, indeed, the best cut here.
I like picanha, I traveled to Brazil a few times. The meat is argentinian (or was when I was there) but the butchers cut it in a very different way. I found later there is a diff way to cut the cow in each place! My girl family is from Chile, and they cook it very differently too (great meat and wine there).

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: