VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 01:59:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from México  (Read 3432 times)
maalmike

« on: July 29, 2007, 04:07:49 pm »

I've tested several options looking for a revive an old laptop, just got tired of xubuntu (to slow an many things just didn't work), I've heard about Vector Linux and decided to give it a shoot, so far so good, it's amazing! the speed and the looks, just a little complicated in the install.

Sorry for the bad english, it's not my language.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 05:56:19 pm »

It's quite all right.  I have bad English, and it's the only language I know.  Cheesy

Welcome to Vector Linux.  If you have any questions, just let us know.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 07:31:57 am »

Hola maalmike!

Dont worry about your english, mine is worst an nobody kicked me *yet*  Cheesy

btw, we are good number of spanish speakers already, may be we should start to think about changing the vl default language  Grin
Bienvenido al foro / welcome to the forum.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 09:07:08 am »

Bienvenido maalmike, Esperamos que te guste Vector Linux, si tienes preguntas o necesitas ayuda con algo, aqui estamos. Wink

Welcom to VL maalmike, Hope you like it, if you have any questions or need help, just ask.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 02:45:04 am »

Hola maalmike!

Dont worry about your english, mine is worst an nobody kicked me *yet*  Cheesy

btw, we are good number of spanish speakers already, may be we should start to think about changing the vl default language  Grin
Bienvenido al foro / welcome to the forum.

rbistolfi, my command of the English language has already begun to deteriorate as I use it less and less.

Hola maalmike.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
muskrat

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 07:42:07 pm »

Hola maalmike; Exactly where are you in mexico, I actually live on the mexico side of the line, but here on the Frontera we consider both sides our truf. My home and business is in Reynosa Tamp. But drive truck cross country in the US.

I speak spanish but don't wrtite it well, although I can read it somewhat.

"Who needs windows? When we have no walls!"
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 07:44:41 pm »

Hola maalmike; Exactly where are you in mexico, I actually live on the mexico side of the line, but here on the Frontera we consider both sides our truf. My home and business is in Reynosa Tamp. But drive truck cross country in the US.

I speak spanish but don't wrtite it well, although I can read it somewhat.

It's always easier to read a language than to write or speak it. But with all due respect, what's hard about writing Spanish for you? I imagine it would be fairly easy giving that it's phonetically spelled out.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 08:47:42 pm »

You'll be pleased to know that a Spanish aspell dictionary (spellchecker for AbiWord) is in the testing repository.  You can find it at http://ftp://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/testing/libs/aspell-es-0.50.2-i586-1vl58.tlz  I hope it's helpful to you.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
muskrat

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 06:50:59 am »

I suppose the biggest problem I have is this unruly keyboard, I haven't got it trained yet. Grin

But I never was very good at Phonices. And we here on the frontera speak a thrid language most of the time which really messes up my phonices. We call it Texano, in Arizona it's called spanglish. It's where we mix the english and spanish words together, often times chopping them in half and splicing them together.

I don't suppose aspell has a dictionary for that do they? Grin

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 09:11:13 am »

Nope, no Spanglish dictionary.  I heard plenty of Cubano-Spanglish when I lived in the Miami area  Grin 

You should be able to set your keyboard mapping for any language you wish.  You can also specify two mappings in your /etc/X11/Xorg.con and the keyboard switcher applets in Xfce or KDE or Gnome will let you switch back and forth.  I can post sample code if you need keyboard switching.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
muskrat

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 03:25:14 pm »

You should be able to set your keyboard mapping for any language you wish.

That was a joke. "Educating my keyboard" has nothing to do with keymaps. It sort of like saying "My Tang gets Tungled up" or "I have fat fingers", its a blame factor. I don't want to blame my buddy Tux or take the blame myself. So who else is left?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: