VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 08:00:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems mounting external HD on other network computer  (Read 2852 times)
Neil K.

« on: July 30, 2007, 11:10:34 am »

There are two other machines on my wireless network. I store all of my music on my brother's external hard drive, which is shared on the network. In order to connect to his computer, I use the Samba Network utility to attempt to mount this shared hard drive; however, when I try to mount the share, I get an error stating "Error Occurred While Mounting". Why is this happening and can anyone help me?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:04:39 pm by Neil K. » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 01:21:34 pm »

What version of Vector are you using?

Samba utility, meaning smbmount?

Where are you trying to mount this?

Bigpaws
Neil K.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 02:47:38 pm »

I am using Vector Linux 5.8.

By the Samba Network utility, I mean "Samba Network" under "Network" in the Start Menu. Perhaps I am missing some prerequisites before attempting to mount?

I would like to mount the external hard drive to my desktop for easy access.

Thank you for your help. Wink
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 03:58:01 pm »

Which version of Vector Linux 5.8?

Did you try VASM?

Bigpaws
Neil K.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 07:38:20 am »

I am using VectorLinux-5.8-standard-GOLD. Yes, I have tried using VASM, but it doesn't work either.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 08:42:06 am »

Neil,

Start starting the Samba Network utility as root, and then attempt to mount your share network drive.  I use pyNeighborhood and this is how I have to mount the shares otherwise I get the same error message you've been receiving.  My guess is that it's just a permissions thing related to the mount point, but I could be wrong.

HTH,
newt
Neil K.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 02:00:48 pm »

When using pyNeighborhood, I receive a message which says "Failed to mount."

I have also tried LinNeighborhood. I had no luck. Cry

Note: Just now, I mounted a drive from a different system on my network that is running Windows 2000 Professional. My guess now is that there are some issues with permissions.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:13:01 pm by Neil K. » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 06:00:42 pm »

Here is a test for you.

Try smbtree this should give you an output of the
network shares.

Bigpaws
Neil K.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 10:19:56 am »

I can see all of the network shares on pyNeighborhood. Wink
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 03:49:37 pm »

I don't know if you've tried this or not, but, if not, then run pyNeighborhood from the terminal as root

I'm trying to recall my exact steps of getting pyNeighborhood to work for me and mount network shares correctly.  I believe these were my steps:
-Determine the mount location to be used by pyNeighborhood (should be in pyNeighborhoods preferences/options; I think it's /mnt/lan)
-Create that mount point (/mnt/lan, IIRC) as root
-Start pyNeighborhood as root (i.e. in a terminal: su to root, then run pyNeighborhood)
-Adjust pyNeighborhood's preferences/options to require user-level access, but don't provide a default user/pass
-Mount the share as user (the 'as user' part is necessary if your win boxes have users setup with passwords), and when prompted provide the user/pass for the win box you're trying to access

HTH
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: