VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: restore from trash  (Read 1751 times)

jimwill

restore from trash
« on: July 30, 2007, 01:08:52 pm »

OK, (don't ask  :o ) how do I restore a file from the trash? Just copy it back or is there some command line that I can use?

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: restore from trash
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 01:32:20 pm »

In Xfce you click on the trash can icon on the desktop.  Then right click on the file, then select "restore".

jimwill

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 01:58:01 pm »

Thank you exeterdad.  ;D
  Unfortunately, I have managed to trap myself at the command line terminal with a bad deletion! Been playing with this since yesterday and found the file in a .trash-0, but can't figure out how to restore it. startx as user fails due to no space in the /tmp dir (which is empty!?  ??? ), as root I can run startx, but can't restore the file from there.

Oh well, I was using the SOHO beta2, so I guess I'll install SOHO final, and learn to be more careful with my deletions!  ;D

jimwill

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 03:41:37 am »

In Xfce you click on the trash can icon on the desktop.  Then right click on the file, then select "restore".

Ok exeterdad, I decided to try one more time before wiping my drive. So at boot, as root, i did a startxXfce and managed to restore the file from trash! Thanks for the help! However during my stumbling around I managed to mangle other things, so after backing up everything that I think I might need, I plan on wiping and re-installing SOHO. Maybe this time I can get a better setup!  ;D

Perhaps you or someone can give some aid with that? I have a 40gig hard drive. When I set up the first time I found that running lampp and dragonfly cms filled up my root partition and I had to start linking to directories on the home partition. What would you recommend as a partitioning scheme for that setup? Just a swap and home partition or what? Also,, how would I avoid the problem of /tmp filling up?

Thanks for all the help you guys (and ladies!) give!!

tomh38

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 06:49:43 am »

Not an answer, but a duplication of one of jimwill's questions:

How do I keep /tmp from filling up?

This is also a repetition:

Right now I have a "/" partition, a "/home" partition, and a swap partition.  For my next install, does anybody suggest a better partitioning scheme.  There are a lot of opinions on this matter zooming around out there through the intertubes, but I trust the VL people a lot more that what I might find on say, a Red Hat, Ubububiliboo, or Debian forum.

Cuz y'all know yer stuff.

Tom
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 08:51:17 am »

I just keep things simple.  I have my swap partition and a root partition.  Works for me.

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 08:51:29 am »

How do I keep /tmp from filling up?
I think that one of the shutdown scripts cleans out /tmp every time you shutdown or reboot, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Sometimes flakey software might leave the odd bits of stuff in /tmp, but that is pretty rare. It is never something I have worried about and I have just checked my /tmp and there is very little stuff in there...
Right now I have a "/" partition, a "/home" partition, and a swap partition.
Perfect. That is what the Slackware world sort of recommends. Having a distinct /home partition makes for easier backups and for reloading your distro while keeping all your configs and data. Having more than those three partitions on a personal workstation is unnecessary, but might be something to consider for a server.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 03:09:42 pm »

I just keep things simple.  I have my swap partition and a root partition.  Works for me.

That's what I do, too.

I agree on the value of keeping what's in /home, but I do that by copying /home to an external hard drive. If I were to reinstall, it's a simple matter to restore whatever I want from /home on the backup drive.

I can't recommend having at least one external hard drive enough. It's by far the easiest way to back things up.

If your computer is so old that you can't get USB 2 (it can be supplied by a PCI card or CardBus PCMCIA card), you'll just have to suffer.  :( Such is life with geriatric computers.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller