VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 09:14:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (solved) Vector Linux & BBC.co.uk radio  (Read 3455 times)
rotorn

« on: July 30, 2007, 04:01:30 pm »

hello,
I'd like to know if anyone has ever come across the same problem as I have using vector linux: when I want to listen to a BBC radio stream, I can only manage to get it for a minute or so, then it stops and never starts again until I hit a new link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/index.shtml?button

The bbc use realplay media for their streams, and I have no problem listening or watching windows media streams on this install

Any clue as to a reason / solution?

thanks for your help and your time
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:59:05 pm by rotorn » Logged
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 04:09:55 pm »

Would it have anything to do with the following message at the top of that link?:
We are experiencing severe technical problems, and regret that many programmes are unavailable. We are working to restore normal service. See station websites for alternative links.

EDIT: well, I've been listening to Radio 1 for 15 minutes now with no glitches... Smiley
And that's in 5.8 Standard (using SeaMonkey 1.1.3) inside a vmware virtual machine running on Win2K... Grin
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 04:25:09 pm by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
rotorn

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 04:31:09 pm »

they've displayed that message for some weeks now; I've just tried listening for 15 minutes on my other computer with windows xp, no problem there. I also used to have xubuntu on the computer on which I've installed Vector and it did not give me that issue, in spite of the bbc warning...

I'm so desperate, it may sound silly but my keeping this OS might depend on the possibility to listen to realmedia streaming, especially from the BBC...It would really be a shame since Vector works otherwise really fine and is really more efficient on my computer than xubuntu was
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 04:34:11 pm »

You really should mention which version of VL you have and what application was used to listen to the BBC streams. Hard to help otherwise... Wink

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
rotorn

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 02:57:53 pm »

Sorry for the lack of information; version is VectorLinux-5.8-standard-GOLD (which I discovered, downloaded and installed yesterday Smiley) and the internet application firefox.....anyway, I've found a solution to my problem, i came across a cool feature in the distro which is Gslapt Package Manager with an update option  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Wink that did the trick Cheesy

however, since the update, the videos streaming with mplayer plugin in firefox are slower than the sound when I go fullscreen. I did not notice they were before, is it normal that they are now? Something I should not have updated maybe Huh

edit: managed to sort that one too, I put the line "framedrop=yes" in the mplayer config file; works fine now Smiley......and that's an old computer sold with windows millenium back from the dead Grin
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 04:18:22 am by rotorn » Logged
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 05:47:38 am »

i came across a cool feature in the distro which is Gslapt Package Manager with an update option

Usually upgrading everything is a bit risky.
Personally, I try to upgrade only things that I need or do "gradual" upgrades in which I can spot what the offending package is if something goes wrong.
rotorn

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 04:31:56 am »

Usually upgrading everything is a bit risky.
Personally, I try to upgrade only things that I need or do "gradual" upgrades in which I can spot what the offending package is if something goes wrong.

Thanks for the advice, I've learned to use linux for about 6 months now and always done the updates Microsoft Update style.....I can now see the reasons for various problems I've encountered on my Xubuntu....

I did a fresh install of VL after that and gradual updates of in order : w32 codecs, firefox and mplayer; mplayer seemed to be the guilty part for my problem, which is then solved for real now I think  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: