VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 09:43:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't start the X server..  (Read 8940 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2007, 08:51:40 pm »

I'm a bit gun shy about the GRUB / LILO issues, and being able to use my "daily driver" again.  Someone else suggested above that they'd had a bit of a hassle with GRUB initially also.

You don't have to install LILO or GRUB right away because you can start the installed system with the VL CD. At the first screen's prompt you type:
linux root /dev/hdb1 ro

Of course, you change /dev/hdb1 so that it points to the partition on which you installed VectorLinux.

So if you want to use your "daily driver," you'd just start it as you do now. If you want to use VL, you'd boot with the installation CD and use the command above. This way of starting VL gives you time to fix up the boot loader to your liking and to ask for some help if you're not sure about something.

I use LILO. I've never been able to get my mind around GRUB, even though I've read many explanations.

One other concern I have is that Vector seems to only see a small portion of my 4G.  I know most 32-bit distros do this, but I've never been sure why since they should be able to address 4G of memory, no?  Is there any plan for a 64-bit version, or am I locking myself into the 32-bit world if I fall in love with Vector?

32-bit operating systems can't address the full 4 gigs of RAM. The limit is about 3.5 gigs. We just had a little discussion of this on the forum recently and someone explained the mathematics of it. However, VL should see much more than a small portion of your 4 gigs. My main desktop has 3 gigs and VL sees all of it.

As for a 64-bit version, I'm sure that day will come but not in the next version. You can follow the discussion starting here:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3454.msg21814#msg21814

You can also join in, if you want.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
RTrev

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 09:03:42 pm »

Hey, that sounds like an even easier way to go.  I presume that during the install I'll have an option to just not install a boot loader at all, based on what you said.  Then just use the same CD I installed from to boot it with your command line.  That sounds perfect.. I don't even have to open my box each time I want to switch back and forth.  Thank you!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 09:16:16 pm »

I presume that during the install I'll have an option to just not install a boot loader at all, based on what you said.  Then just use the same CD I installed from to boot it with your command line.  That sounds perfect.. I don't even have to open my box each time I want to switch back and forth.  Thank you!

Yes, when you get to the LILO INSTALL part while you're setting up VL, just choose SKIP. I use VL Standard and have never seen the installation CD for 5.8 SOHO, so I don't know if the boot loader part is the same. But whatever it is, just skip it and use the CD to boot after VL is installed. And one other thing: when it tells you to remove the CD and reboot once the basic system is installed, leave it in because you'll be booting from it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
RTrev

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 09:20:56 pm »

Yes, when you get to the LILO INSTALL part while you're setting up VL, just choose SKIP. I use VL Standard and have never seen the installation CD for 5.8 SOHO, so I don't know if the boot loader part is the same. But whatever it is, just skip it and use the CD to boot after VL is installed. And one other thing: when it tells you to remove the CD and reboot once the basic system is installed, leave it in because you'll be booting from it.

Perfect.  Thanks again.  I need to get some sleep here, but I think tomorrow or the next day I'll have time to play, and this is number one on my play list.  <g>
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2007, 11:37:05 am »

One point to keep in mind. New computers like his don't come with IDE drives. They come with SATA drives. So things that used to work in the past have to be modified for present conditions. SATA drives don't use "master" and "slave." Also, new computers generally don't come with floppy drives, so suggestions to boot from LILO on a floppy are also obsolete.

Wow, they still come here with a floppy device. Sorry about that. The solution proposed by Granny is -as usual- the easiest, thanks Granny for pointing it.
Good luck RTrev, let us know how this is going, just dont do it sleepy  Wink

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
RTrev

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2007, 03:07:04 pm »

Well, I'll be darned!   Grin

Armed with all the information you folks so generously provided, I installed the Vector Gold VL5.8 to my second boot disk, went and got the NVidia driver I needed, installed it, got Twinview enabled and working, mounted a disk with my .mozilla directoriy and copied it over, and I'm up and running in Vector Linux!

Haven't rebooted yet except the first time for the install, so will make sure everything is still working once I do, and then I think I'm ready to begin the learning curve and figure out how to start customizing things the way I like them.  Then live with it for a while and see how it feels.

You folks are GREAT at helping out newbies!

Thanks,
Bob
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2007, 04:11:48 pm »

congratulations Bob! I hope you enjoy Vector and stay around.
cheers

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
RTrev

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2007, 04:15:46 pm »

congratulations Bob! I hope you enjoy Vector and stay around.
cheers

Thanks.. I'm sure I will!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: