VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 05:58:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux On The Desktop: What If?  (Read 2132 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« on: August 01, 2007, 02:54:09 pm »

Every year for some time now I've been seeing articles and columns with titles such as "200_:  The Year of Linux on the Desktop."  It's 2007, and desktop Linux has improved a great deal since I first started seeing this, but to my knowledge hasn't made great strides into the desktop market.  My question isn't "Why hasn't Linux, etc." or "What would it take for Linux to make inroads on the desktop?," but rather, "What if Linux makes it on the desktop?"  I'm thinking about something on the scale of what has happened with Firefox, which at least in some places is reported to have 30% of browser share.  What would change, what would stay the same?  How would this change affect us who already use Linux?  Would there be more money to be made for Linux developers?  Would Linux developers have to change they way they do things in any way?  You get the idea, and I'm sure you all have your own questions as well.

I'm just curious to see what people in the VL community think about this.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 04:19:51 pm »

What would change, what would stay the same?

For a start, I think hardware manufacturers will want to make Linux compatible hardware. That is good.
Some of the stores will start to offer more pre-installed linux, following the precursors VectorLinux/Madtux lol and Ubunto/Dell.

How would this change affect us who already use Linux?

Not too much. I am tempted to say "distros will be better" because the new sponsors or commercial opportunities, but we already have the best os around LOL. I guess we could get a benefit from the more hardware available, but all of us already buy just Linux compatible hardware (well, I have a non-compatible pci audio card, but I learned from my experience  Sad, btw, dont buy the maya44 pci card from ego-sys). The prices will be lower, I think Linux requires some hardware a little more expensive, at least in my market.

Would there be more money to be made for Linux developers?

May be, but they are too much, impossible to maintain as a non-open-source structure and pay to all of them.

Would Linux developers have to change they way they do things in any way?

I think someones will, some distros will have a better position (I guess the big ones) but the rest will still work as until now. I think the small ones will need to find a very special market to build a commercial profile, i.e. make a distro for people with special needs, and non-covered by major distros. For example, I work for a small business, and I would like a distro with a lampp server, open software crm / erp solution integrated to a web site / os-commerce, CAD (we are a factory), you get it. You could build a distro with a special version to cover a special market, in parallel with the general purpose one. You can sell related services as well, like network installation, several customizations, etc.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 09:35:47 pm »

"Next year in Jerusalem"

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 01:53:41 am »

Linux will be on the desktop when the stars would be right.

Though, we will have too much problems with awaken Cthulhu to enjoy it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 02:09:37 am by Vanger » Logged

Running silent, running deep
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 06:42:33 am »

Linux will be on the desktop when the stars would be right.

Though, we will have too much problems with awaken Cthulhu to enjoy it.

Grin Grin Grin
We´ll see the next year!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 07:33:24 am »

Tired of voting for the lesser of two evils?

Vote Cthulhu for President in 2008.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 07:34:18 am »

Vanger:  ROFL, hilarious cartoon.  I'm an H.P. Lovecraft fan from way back (all the way back through the fathomless gulfs of time - the 1980s).

Maybe you've seen this on YouTube, maybe you haven't:   Carol of the Old Ones.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 07:51:53 am »

Knock, knock

Who's there?

Chthul!

Cthul-who?

(sound of shoggoths chuckling in the background)

Lame, I know, but it's my favorite "knock-knock" joke.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: