VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 05:32:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] OpenOffice 2.2 - hang on startup......strange?  (Read 8423 times)
GoingDown

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 01:19:10 am »

After more digging and the helpful replies I've found a fix.
The problem was with the hostname I had given my PC - being a seasoned Windows user/developer on a Linux learning curve I gave my pc a hostname in the format "aaa" (as you would in Windows  Shocked) however OO expects it to be in the format "aaa.bbb.ccc", i.e. vector.linux.net.  Still got lots to learn but am getting there slowly  Smiley

The following highlight the the issue within OO:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=38997 : see also the OO issue referenced in this one.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=375827

Changing the hostname into the required format results in OO starting with no delay.
The reason I changed my hostname is that the installer does not recognise my on-board LAN adapter and skips the network setup during the install - maybe I'll raise this issue in the network/installation thread.......

Now have OO back to being super fast in VL - THANKS AGAIN  Grin

VL 5.8 SOHO
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 06:46:35 am »

Good work! that was hard to diagnosticate, I was googling for a week and I miss those! Congrats, btw, you can change the hostnames but needs to be a valid one, as you said, aaa.bbb.ccc
cheers!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 08:00:17 am »

Wow. Good detective work there GoingDown!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 10:14:51 am »

The problem was with the hostname I had given my PC - being a seasoned Windows user/developer on a Linux learning curve I gave my pc a hostname in the format "aaa" (as you would in Windows  Shocked) however OO expects it to be in the format "aaa.bbb.ccc", i.e. vector.linux.net. 

[snip]

Changing the hostname into the required format results in OO starting with no delay.

My experience does not indicate that a hostname in the format aaa.bbb.ccc is required by OOo or anything else. I have no delay in opening OOo and my computers are named as follows:
Toshiba.OURDOMAIN
hall.OURDOMAIN
compaq.OURDOMAIN

The domain name is not actually OURDOMAIN but it's a single word in all caps. The computer names and domain name are the same in Windows. I gave the computers their names and also made up the domain name, as we don't really have a domain, just what Windows calls a workgroup.

Perhaps I'm missing the point or some detail. But I've been naming computers as aaa.BBB for years in Linux and have no problems. I use fixed IP addresses assigned by me for the computers. The router gets a DHCP address from the ISP. It is of no relevance for purposes of the home network. I use a DNS server address given by my ISP.

I am absolutely NOT suggesting you change anything that's working. I'm just questioning whether an aaa.bbb.ccc format is *necessary* and if so, why has my aaa.BBB format worked for years?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 10:46:30 am »

It's possible that aaa.bbb AND aaa.bbb.ccc (actually, it would be more of bbb.ccc and aaa.bbb.ccc as both are valid domain patterns) work. However, just plain bbb would not work as it isn't a valid domain pattern.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 10:50:44 am »

Of course, you are right, Granny and retired1af. aaa.bbb is the right format, being aaa.bbb.ccc a valid option, will work too. aaa will work fine on a standalone machine thougth, but of course, not in a lan.
Sorry for the mistake.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 11:01:48 am by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: