VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 08:04:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cups not working  (Read 2649 times)
mr_volvo

« on: August 02, 2007, 05:43:43 am »

hi
I have been trying to connect to a printer shared from my desktop. Cups works fine on that PC (a very fresh install) but on my laptop it doesn't seem to load at all. I have cups set to start in the service settings in VASM.  I have tried removing and reinstalling cups from gslapt (for some reason I can't find 1.2.10 in the repository but I am sure that is what was installed initially).

root:# /etc/init.d/cups restart
/etc/init.d/cups: line 144: x/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/lib/java/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin: No such file or directory
cups: restarted scheduler.

http://localhost:631/ cannot be found.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some help, I don't really want to start with a fresh OS.
Oh, I'm running 5.8 SOHO Final.

Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 06:03:32 am »

Maybe a firewall issue? (at least, that was a problem for me at some point)
Try stopping it, and see if there's any difference.
mr_volvo

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 06:30:33 am »

BANG! I stopped the firewall and the cups page started immediately, turns out it was just waiting to pop up.

cheers!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 06:36:01 am by mr_volvo » Logged

Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 08:18:37 am »

BANG! I stopped the firewall and the cups page started immediately

Maybe you can configure the firewall so that it allows that connection. I suppose that using vasm you can have the firewall running but keeping port 631 open. (or something to this effect).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: