VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 09:01:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Partition issues  (Read 4433 times)
fulmar

« on: August 02, 2007, 10:34:06 am »

During a fresh install of VL 5.8 standard, I got '...X11.tz: either the file is corrupt or the partition is full"

I used cfdisk during the install to partition the drive thus:
hda1        Primary  Linux Swap   511.97
hda2 Boot Primary  Linux            3500.17
hda3        Primary  Linus            3671.51

and selected hda2 as root and hda3 as the home partition

BUT running probepart gives:
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
 phys=(0,1,1) logical=(0,0,64)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
  phys=(991,15,63) should be (991,0,15007104)
etc.

and parted says:
Information: The operating system thinks the geometry on /dev/hda is 14888/16/63. Therefore 1024 ends at 503.999M

I tried redoing the partitions and checking all the files including X11.tz at the beggining, with the same result. Since I have (intentionally) removed win during the install, I can't use Partition Magic so I'm stuck.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance,
Abhishek

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 10:53:25 am »

Something is messed up with those partitions. When you get to the second or third screen of the VL installer, choose "Exit", to get to a root prompt. Then type "cfdisk -z /dev/hda" . That will force cfdisk to not read your partitions and you should then use cfdisk to redo them correctly so the physical and logical sectors match. Then reboot the machine and start the installer over again.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
fulmar

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 04:10:30 pm »

How do I get the physical and logical sectors to match? I did what you said and after hitting 'Write' on cfdisk I got "Wrote partition table, but re-read table failed. Reboot to update table." Rebooting doesn't help.

In case they help at all, my disk info:
Heads: 16 Sectors per Track: 63 Cylinders: 14888
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 07:44:35 pm »

I have seen such problems when the BIOS is set to a specific CHS (Cylinder, Head, Sector) that does not for some reason match reality. Go into your BIOS and change the hard drive to "AUTO", reboot, then try what I said above once more.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
fulmar

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 12:16:45 am »

I checked that. The primary IDE master is set to AUTO in the BIOS. According to this website http://www.sunstarco.com/Hard%20Drive%20Inf/Maxtor/Maxtor%20DiamondMax%20VL%2030%20Ultra%20100.htm the c/h/s value that I get from parted etc is correct. It's a Maxtor 30768H1 7.6 gb and c/h/s = 14888/16/63. I think my BIOS doesn't have a away to set them individually. I was running VL 5.1/win double boot and haven't touched the BIOS in years.

Thinking that it was specific to cfdisk, I tried the gparted livecd. That has a "round to cylinders" option that was ticked by default. After all that I still got the same X11.tz and "...different physical/logical beginnings" errors. But NOW parted says,
The partition table on /dev/hda is inconsistent...most likely reason is that that Linux detected the BIOS geometry for /dev/hda incorrectly. GNU Parted suspects the real geometry should be 934/255/63 (not 1488/16/63)...you can add the parameter hda="..." to the command line...

So I am completely confused. 
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 08:53:04 am »

Perhaps running the disk's manufacture's diagnostic would be of some help. Otherwise if you have nothing on the disk except your three unusable partitions you may want to reformat the whole thing, wipe the MBR, and try again.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 09:22:09 am »

Yes you can wipe the MBR (partition table and boot loader) with this command run from root:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

Then start again as mikecindi suggested.

fulmar

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 08:52:14 pm »

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

I did this and then cfdisk -z /dev/hda to repartition. After rebooting I still get the same errors from fdisk -l:

Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
 phys=(0,1,1) logical=(0,0,64)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 09:02:19 pm »

How is the drive set up in the BIOS, as LBA?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
fulmar

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 05:25:32 pm »

How is the drive set up in the BIOS, as LBA?
Yes. I think sometimes it detects the drive as 14888/16/63 and partitions it as such. And then on rebooting cfdisk and gparted claim it is 934/255/63 and fdisk gives errors about partitions not ending on cylinder boundaries and different physical/logical beginnings etc. From various sites I gathered that 14888/16/63 is the correct setting for my model. I have no idea where the other numbers come from.
fulmar

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 04:10:36 am »

Sorry for so many posts; this is a summary.

Booting with the gparted livecd: gparted, fdisk and cfdisk both show the wrong value of c/h/s = 934/255/163.
cfdisk -z /dev/hda will display the right value (14888/16/63). But now partioning and rebooting brings me back to the 'wrong' values i.e fdisk -l gives the last cylinder of the last partition as 934. Wiping out the partition table(?) with "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1" and repartitioning & rebooting gives the same result.

Thanks for the all the suggestions so far.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 04:35:41 am »

My knowledge is humble, but I think the geometry is logical and not physical, and linux will work with any geometry without errors if the geometry matchs the disk size.
That said, you could try to change the geometry from cfdisk with the g command.
There is also a command line option, would be:

cfdisk -c <cylinders> -h <heads> -s <sectors-per-track>

I think that command will override the current partition table (cfdisk reads that info from there).
I never tried this by myself and I dont know how safe it is, I remember a post from hanu recommending to write the old partition table on paper, may be it is a good idea. Please read the man page by yourself (man cfdisk) and use at your own risk  Wink
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:38:07 am by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
muskrat

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 11:03:58 am »

If you have a Maxtor Drive they have a great utility that you can get from thier site. The only problem it takes a floppy to use it.

I used it once on a drive that gave me problems kind of like yours, it was still on warranty, so they ask me to run this utility and then if it still errorred, they would give me another drive. Which it did, and they did.

"Who needs windows? When we have no walls!"
fulmar

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 08:19:16 am »

Maxtor's MaxBlast on the ultimatebootcd didn't work for me. I used Seatools to scan the drive with no errors. Seagate's Discwizard says cylinder-head-sector is 934/255/63 for BIOS logical and XBIOS logical and 14888/16/63 for XBIOS physical. I have no idea where exactly those two sets of numbers are coming form. Partitioning with either,
cfdisk -z -c 14888 -h 16 -s 63
cfdisk -z -c 934 -h 255 -s 63

gives the same set of errors from fdisk after rebooting: "Partition [1,2,3] has different physical/logical [boundaries,endings]" and "Partition [1,2,3] does not end on a cylinder boundary"
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 09:15:37 am »

hmm, may be using the g command to write that info to the partitin table, I never tried it, but the docs states you can write that info with the g command, if I am reading correctly :/

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: