Ok, I finally broke X on my 5.8 SOHO by updating it from slackware-current and just downloaded the fres iso and installed.
Well, so far:
1) Why is installation on xfs filesystem is so painfully slow?
I use xfs for root partitions mainly because it allows resizing without unmounting the partition (actually, you have to mount it
). You never know, when you can need a little resize and GParted LiveCD just don't work on my i965/E6600 workstation.
Well, I noticed it on 5.8. The installation was equally slow on my:
- workhorse: E6600 / 3Gb / 320 Gb 7200 SATA2 8Mb cache
- home machine: A64 2800+ / 1.5Gb / 80 Gb 7200 IDE 2 Mb cache
- notebook: Celeron-M 1,5Ghz / 256Mb / 40 Gb 4200 IDE 2Mb cache
And installation on ext2/3 is a breeze..
2) I use VNC at my work. tightvnc, downloaded via gslapt, need libXaw8, which is absent. Ok, I try to compile it, but it needs libXprintUtil then for 8 version. Ok, ok, but the libXprintUtil needs xp and xprint protos. xprint.pc I got from Slackware package, compiled libXp for xp.pc and everything started working.
But shouldn't it just go from the box? All the protos and needed libs?
3) There is no
Option "Composite" "Enable"
in xorg.conf by default, though in 5.8 SOHO it was.
4) Beryl can't get dbus plugin at start. beryl-manager crashes in KDE. beryl-settings behave very badly in non-UTF8 locale (KOI8-R) - just ? instead of any non-english liters.
When I actually start beryl, and then start a konsole - to test transparency - it wasn't transparent. It had the same background as a desktop - in smaller size, of couse. When I changed it's dimensions - it became transparent. But I saw no real transparency - to see windows, that are "below" it.
Switching desktop by mouse wheel doesn't work. You stay on Desktop 1 always.
When I try to exit beryl, KDE doesn't work normally. I have to reboot X-server.
Well, maybe it's my i965 fault, but I'm tired and I prefer fluxbox+3ddesktop!