VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 02:26:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk about Beryl on VL 5.8.6 SOHO  (Read 6385 times)
larryd782

« on: August 03, 2007, 04:36:56 pm »

One of the hot things with Linux right now is Beryl. People switching over from windos want the eye candy and they are not going to compile the xorg to do it. It should
be automatic like all the other distros.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 02:47:14 am by The Headacher » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 04:23:46 pm »

One of the hot things with Linux right now is Beryl. People switching over from windos want the eye candy and they are not going to compile the xorg to do it. It should be automatic like all the other distros.

BERYL: Biggest Efficiency Robber Yet on Linux.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 02:43:06 am by The Headacher » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 04:27:06 pm »

One of the hot things with Linux right now is Beryl. People switching over from windos want the eye candy and they are not going to compile the xorg to do it. It should be automatic like all the other distros.

Cheesy

I have a moderated position in matter of the eye candy debate, but I think the better reason to upgrade Xorg is the support for the newest video cards and new improvement on already working drivers.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 07:43:21 pm »

LMAO, totally agree. I just don't see the point of a rotating cube vs. several desktops selectable with the mouse wheel.

I think the better reason to upgrade Xorg is the support for the newest video cards and new improvement on already working drivers.
Agreed.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 03:56:34 am »

beryl is still hawt,but everybody can enable composition and have transparent windows on xfce4, by editing xorg.conf...

What makes this jump to newer versions of packages is that with the older vector linux, the user couldnt use ALOT of applications (not only beryl) that used a newer gcc, a newer xorg, e newer everything, packages that were long upgraded on major distros and still old on vector.
The upgrade will open the doors to many applications and will boost vl's popularity. (hey, for example you can't use the latest version of skype with vl 5.8 std,because it needs a newer glibc)

In the Release post at DW you should mention beryl if you want,but should focus on the upgrades of major packages (finally an upgrade to catch up with ubuntu ,suse , fedora and the rest of the long list which had upgraded long before vl)

and yeah,the switching to linux windows user would definatelly want to see beryl. No matter what.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:01:02 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
larryd782

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 04:48:46 am »

I agree that the newer xorg is good for a lot of things and it should have been in 5.8 SOHO.
About Beryl, Its great to look at and I always set it up but I very seldom use it. When I show it to someone they all say the same thing, I want that. I think it just gives
people another reason to switch to Linux which is a good thing. I think most of us will turn it off (Beryl) after we have had our fun with it.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 05:12:32 am »

Guys, I split these posts from the rest of the bugreports to keep that place sort of clean. A lot of us have strong opinions on beryl/xorg, let's continue talking about that here and keep the bugreports thread for just bugs.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 06:43:30 am »

Quote from: blurymind
and yeah,the switching to linux windows user would definatelly want to see beryl. No matter what.

I have to disagree with this. When I dumped Windows (only a year-and-a-half ago) I was really looking for something stable and at the same time fast. I didn't care much for special desktop appearance, and in any case, XP doesn't have much to boast about in that area either, since its GUI was clearly designed by FisherPrice.

IMHO, it would be a lot cooler to add good laptop support for SOHO 5.8.6 than to have a resource intensive window manager/desktop effects generator like beryl.
And its not like it can't be added on easily with slapt-get on this release.....the foundations (Xorg7, etc) are already in place.

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 07:25:12 am »

Guys, I split these posts from the rest of the bugreports to keep that place sort of clean.

Yeah, I was out of place with my initial little Beryl observation, but I couldn't resist that one. I apologize as a moderator who should know better.  Embarrassed

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 04:14:16 pm »

I just tried beryl because it's the major "upgrade" on this version. I'm turning it off now, I don't want my screens to wobble, I don't want a rotating cube and I certainly don't want tiny representations of my running programs to be displayed whenever I move the mouse to the top right to close a program.

That's how I feel about Beryl, too. I burned a VL Beryl LiveCD so I could see what the buzz was. The only one of my three computers it would work on was my laptop, which has an Intel graphics chip. My Compaq desktop would need the ATI proprietary driver installed, otherwise no 3D. My slower desktop has a Radeon 9200 that does 3D with the xorg driver, but it won't run Beryl. I don't know why.

My impression of Beryl on the laptop was ho-hum. I hate the cube and wobbling screens. There really was nothing I cared about and a lot that I didn't like at all.

None of the Windows users I know are salivating over Aero or getting Vista so they can have the eye candy. Well, I never checked with my 15-year-old nephew. He might have a different opinion. Enough said.<g>

I do know one non-kid Linux user who loves Beryl. The rest of us either don't care or don't like it. Of course, it's admittedly a small sample and not representative of Linux users or potential users, but then, what is?.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 03:19:22 am »

i dont really care about beryl that much ,as to which packages were upgraded aside x11...

So which are upgraded? Is everything in slackware 12's package version upgrades here on 5.8.6?
I want to know if its worth hopping on next vec,or is it too early..

Does anybody know? I couldnt find a package list anywhere at the ftp, the announcement,the forum or at Vl's distrowatch page.. I want package list with their versions. Everything thats in that iso.

Now that beryl is gonna merge with compiz,we are gonna have trouble building it with all the gnome-bloat-dependencies..  Angry and im begining to hate gnome,with its terrible package structure,slowness and bugs..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 03:24:03 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 02:48:37 pm »

the truth is eye candy or not. An xorg upgrade is due for vl but i do agree laptop support is a must

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 03:19:36 pm »

Quick question, why is VL including Beryl which has now been discontinued and merged with compiz? Why not replace Beryl with compiz-fuzion?

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 04:08:23 pm »

Quick question, why is VL including Beryl which has now been discontinued and merged with compiz? Why not replace Beryl with compiz-fuzion?

A very short answer to that question:

5.8.6 kept the old tool chain. (old glibc version, old gcc and old binutils) Compiz-fusion needs glib > = 2.5 to function. Such an upgrade on 5.8.6 would break compatibilty with the previous vl versions.

Unless you're willing to make the upgrade yourself, you would not be able to enjoy fusion.
Needless to say, if you do perform such an upgrade, you would not be able to submit packages built on that install.

I've done my upgrade...and may I say it is worth every bit of it Wink

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 05:39:53 pm »

when we jump to the 5.9.x series we will be compiz-fusion ready. At this point in development I am glad as were the other developers to take this migration in small steps as just the up grade to Xorg-7.2 has taken considerable work . Beryl is a bit buggy and now out dated but at least a taste of what is to come.
cheers,
vec
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: