VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 07:31:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk about Beryl on VL 5.8.6 SOHO  (Read 6404 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 06:05:06 pm »

I guess it'll be ok for the time being since fusion is still under heavy development.

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 02:10:16 am »

Beryl is a bit buggy and now out dated but at least a taste of what is to come.

May I say that including a br0ken/buggy beryl is absolutely not in any way a good idea to promote a distro?
Just because it's eyecandy is no excuse for crappy software to be on a release that's supposed to go stable. I think stability is much more important than looks. If it has to be somewhere it should be in some "unstable" repo.

People who try SOHO 5.8.6 for the eyecandy will be disappointed with the buggy beryl. People who don't want the eyecandy might not even upgrade there 5.8 to 5.8.6 because of the few changes. I certainly won't switch my rock solid 5.8 just to get a newer xorg and kde, and possible dependency issues to boot. 

There seems to be little progress because there are few bughunters, and possible bugs that might still be found in the RC 1 are hopelessly outdated because by now there's an RC 1.11, which was never announced  (and nine others before it).

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I honestly (still) don't see the point about 5.8.6, it seems like an eyecandy release, with buggy eyecandy. Yes, we get to test new xorg. But when this one works we'll get different xorg packages on 5.9 anyways right (since that'll be built with slack12 toolchain)?
Rather than focusing on the important development stuff we now have to test Beryl and such  Undecided, while we should be testing the new Slack12 toolchain. On that, compiz-fusion should build fine too.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 01:01:46 pm »

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I honestly (still) don't see the point about 5.8.6, it seems like an eyecandy release, with buggy eyecandy. Yes, we get to test new xorg. But when this one works we'll get different xorg packages on 5.9 anyways right (since that'll be built with slack12 toolchain)?
Rather than focusing on the important development stuff we now have to test Beryl and such  Undecided, while we should be testing the new Slack12 toolchain. On that, compiz-fusion should build fine too.

I have to say, I whole-heartedly agree.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: