VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 09:36:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't login to my bank account  (Read 20852 times)
Jerry
Vectorite

« on: August 05, 2007, 08:56:38 am »

Whether it's Seamonkey or Firefox I can no longer login to my online banking site.

I installed Vector SOHO 5.8 onto this Acer Aspire 5610z laptop.  Everything is
working very well, especially since I figured out to use v-wifi-connect  Smiley.  I've
been very happy with this distro on my new laptop.

However, I can go into the next room where my pc is, with another Linux
distro on it, and login just fine to my bank.

I've tried disabling the firewall.  I have cookies enabled of course.. etc.. What I
get after the login attempt is a page with nothing on it except, "processing
login.." which stays indefinitely.  That page is not there for a normal login:  it
just jumps straight to my account.

Any ideas?

- Jerry
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 09:18:11 am »

Whether it's Seamonkey or Firefox I can no longer login to my online banking site.

Were you able to login previously from this system? Did you do any system or browser upgrades and if so did this problem happen after the system upgrades?

Do you have Java enabled on the browsers? http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 12:03:25 pm »

Were you able to login previously from this system? Did you do any system or browser upgrades and if so did this problem happen after the system upgrades?

Do you have Java enabled on the browsers? http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Java is working. 

If by "..from this system.." you mean the new install of 5.8, no.. this inability to login to my
bank account is new to me.  I usually do it from the other computer because it's in my office
here at home, the laptop being used mainly for browsing and games when I'm at the coffee
shop or whatever.  I was surprised to find out that I couldn't get into my bank account on
my laptop. 

I can't figure this out.  As far as addons I have greasemonkey and two scripts for it that
enable good videos at www.cnn.com and www.foxnews.com.  The same setup has been
on every computer I've used for years.

I was surprised to notice that Vector SOHO 5.8 has the 2.0.0.3 version of Firefox on it, I'm
not sure of the Seamonkey version, whereas PCLinuxOS 2007.1 has Firefox 2.0.0.5, but
I doubt if that's the problem because as I said I've always been able to go into my bank
account.

-- Jerry
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 03:11:21 pm »

Strange. Are you able to login to any other https sites with that setup as is (ie any secure site)? For example try a web mail account or something?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 03:16:28 pm »

Also, if you have installed, you could try a secure site in Opera - just to see how your milage varies.
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 03:58:12 pm »

Strange. Are you able to login to any other https sites with that setup as is (ie any secure site)? For example try a web mail account or something?

Yeah.. it's only Vector on this laptop that won't let me into my bank account. Huh  Other
secure sites are fine;  I have webmail and PayPal, etc.. no problems.  It isn't the bank's
website problem because, as I say, I can login with PCLOS on my old Gateway pc.

Dang.. there had to be something bad. Roll Eyes  I love the speed of this thing on a modern
machine like this! 

I disabled the firewall.. I don't know what else to try.
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 10:11:00 pm »

It's not something to do with browser identification is it? Some banks are picky about what browsers they allow to use their online banking services. There's an extension for Firefox called User Agent Switcher which allows you to configure FF to announce itself as something else (such as IE 6.0). Konqueror has this capability built in.

Eric
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 04:34:11 am »

It's not something to do with browser identification is it? Some banks are picky about what browsers they allow to use their online banking services. There's an extension for Firefox called User Agent Switcher which allows you to configure FF to announce itself as something else (such as IE 6.0). Konqueror has this capability built in.

Well, that's a thought, but it's just that I've been using this same browser from day one with
no problem until Vector 5.8 SOHO on this laptop.

I just tried again and the same result, "Info... processing login...... "  I let it "process" for a full
25 minutes!  No change.

It has been YEARS since I've seen this issue, and the solution then was to put the Windows
hard drive back in the machine, do my bank business with Internet Explorer, then pop the
Red Hat hard drive back in.  Grin   But now the secure sites are pretty much all compatible
with Mozilla products and Opera, etc. 

- Jerry
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 04:49:55 am »

I can't use Opera to log into my account on the bank's site. Have to use FF. I've raked their IT folks over the coals for it to no avail. It's either IE or FF.

Are you using any plugins with FF?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 04:58:53 am »

You could give a try to this:

1.  Type about:config in the address bar, press Enter.
   2.  Find network.dns.disableIPv6 in the list.
   3.  Right-click -> Toggle.
   4.  Restart Firefox/Mozilla Suite and try again.

That worked with some sites in the past. If it doesnt work, put it back to the default value  Wink

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 06:06:33 am »

You could give a try to this:

1.  Type about:config in the address bar, press Enter.
   2.  Find network.dns.disableIPv6 in the list.
   3.  Right-click -> Toggle.
   4.  Restart Firefox/Mozilla Suite and try again.

That worked with some sites in the past. If it doesnt work, put it back to the default value  Wink

Great idea, rbistolfi (how do you pronounce that?  Grin).  I will do that as soon as I got back
on that machine.  I am also going to try hooking it up directly to the modem here instead of
wifi and see if it's an issue with security settings in wifi.

I am used to the about:config area, as the first thing I do when I have a fresh Mozilla or
Firefox is to make a few changes in there for speed (nglayout.initialpaint.delay, etc).

I'll report back the results in a while. 

- Jerry
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 06:12:03 am »

Well, that's a thought, but it's just that I've been using this same browser from day one with

I just tried again and the same result, "Info... processing login...... "  I let it "process" for a full
25 minutes!  No change.

Yes, we know that, but did you try the previous poster's suggestion or not?

Why don't you tell us the website, someone here will try a fake ID and password and see if we get a processing error or a login error, using the same version of FF and VL5.8 Standard (you are using Standard are you not)? Then we will at least know that it is a config problem with your setup and not an error with Firefox, VL and that website.

Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 07:18:08 am »

25 minutes!  No change.

Yes, we know that, but did you try the previous poster's suggestion or not?

Why don't you tell us the website, someone here will try a fake ID and password and see if we get a processing error or a login error, using the same version of FF and VL5.8 Standard (you are using Standard are you not)? Then we will at least know that it is a config problem with your setup and not an error with Firefox, VL and that website.

I posted which version of Vector I'm using in the post you quoted.

I don't know which "previous poster" you're talking about, but I've tried everything in this thread or I would
not be continuing the thread as I have been.

The site is Pinnacle Bank, www.pinnbank.com.  I would think you'd have to be a customer of that bank
to get an online id account, but I don't know that for sure.

Interesting fact, for those of you who are curious about this problem:  when I try to login I first put
in my username and click "submit," then it is supposed to take me to a page with a text field for
the password, but with this particular distro right now it takes me to the "processing login" page
with no text fields, HOWEVER, I just used the "view page source" feature and lo and behold there is
the code for the REAL password query page! NOT for the page I'm on which just has the simple
text, "processing login."

Interesting?  Well, it is to me. Tongue

- Jerry
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 07:29:57 am »

I tried a dummy login in personal checking and got stuck on the "Processing Login..." page with no browser activity.  I'm using Firefox on VL5.8 Standard.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 07:38:26 am »

OK, I think I have it. Using Opera under VL SOHO 5.8, opened up www.pinnbank.com  I was able to see a screen that had both an Access ID field and a Password field. I typed in garbage and it gave me a login error. That is good - it means the site is working properly under that system.

Then I went into VL 5.8 Standard and using either SeaMonkey, Firefox or Opera the same page shows only an Access field, no password field, and typing garbage into Access field reproduces your error: "Processing Login".

BUT, what does work is to click the "First Time Sign In" field, this opens up (in all three browsers) both an Access ID and Password field and it should work for you.

I do not understand this fault. But it seems to me that all three Browsers do use a Mozilla engine, and perhaps that banks website code is not quite fully compatible with those versions. If you installed the latest version of Firefox I bet it would work fine. But you don't really need to do that if you just click that "First Time Sign In" field.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: