VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 11:44:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't login to my bank account  (Read 20055 times)
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 01:07:25 pm »

OK, but did you try my suggestion to delete your .mozilla directory ?

No.  I have been holding off on doing that.

I will.  Nothing else seems to be working.   Undecided

I'll post back after I do that.

-- Jerry

[edit]:  I'm just wondering if the developers or others here might know
of that .mozilla directory's contents well enough to have an idea of
which file could be the corrupted or offending one causing this problem,
and if I could just try deleting it or replacing it with a backup, if one
exists.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 01:12:04 pm by jerrybasham » Logged
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 01:28:44 pm »

Sad  Well........  anyway, I just renamed .mozilla to .xmozilla, rebooted and fired up
Firefox and went to the site and got the exact same result, no login to my
account.  The browser was fresh, without any of my settings and addons I had
installed.

So, I removed the new .mozilla and renamed my .xmozilla back to .mozilla so
I can have my settings back.

Any other ideas?  This is amazing.

- Jerry
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 03:13:45 pm »

I now believe the problem is with the Flash plugin version used in VL5.8 Standard for SeaMonkey and Firefox. How do I figure this? I went onto my wife's XP machine using Firefox (for which we have a FlashBlock extension loaded). The bottom of the pinnbank signon page has a flash component associated with your signing on (I have no idea why - that is very bad coding on the part of your bank's IT people). With the flash blocked on WinXP I get the same problem: "processing login". When I reactivated flash it works fine.

VL SOHO 5.8 has a different Mozilla flash version to VL5.8 Standard and works OK and so does Opera, and Opera works fine at that bank site under VL 5.8 Standard. So my assumption is there is some bug or inconsistency between the Macromedia Flash plugin version for Mozilla on Standard and that website. Flash on VL5.8 Standard seems to work just fine on many other flash sites I have visited, so really, this is NOT a VectorLinux problem, but rather a problem with the Flash coding at the bank or some strange bug in the specific version of the flash plugin that the banks website coding has found.

My only suggestion is to upgrade the flash plugin for VL5.8 Standard. I have tried it and have failed. Maybe someone else has had better luck doing this.

Or use Opera!!! (which you made quite clear before that you did not like so guess that is not an option!  Wink

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 03:30:52 pm »

It doesn't work for me in Windows with Shockwave Flash 9.0 r45 plugin, SeaMonkey 1.1.4.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 03:40:33 pm »

Hmm.. "My only suggestion is to upgrade the flash plugin for VL5.8 Standard."

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  I'm running SOHO.. are you suggesting I go to gslapt
and uninstall my flash plugin and reinstall another one on the list and try that?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 03:42:41 pm »

The code posted by Jerry is supporting your assumption, lagagnon, It´s just the validation for the flash plugin, the browser is not rendering any else. The validation is made on the client side, so you could try disabling javascript to see if there is any change, that could help to confirm the flash problem.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 03:59:29 pm »

I still don't get how it would be a problem with the way their page is written. 

Keep in mind that I am very attached to this distro, and this particular release
especially.  The plusses are HUGE for me on this laptop compared to others I
have been trying.  The biggest hassle has been getting the shit drivers for
my Broadcom bcm43xx adaptor to connect via wifi, let alone to yield any kind
of speed.  With SOHO 5.8 I was startled to see it fly right up to full speed
using the "v-wificonnect" utility.  Plus all the other speedy things about
Vector (I'm convinced you devs all drink a lot of esspreso  Cheesy). 

Anyway, why is SOHO 5.8 the only one that won't let me in my bank account
there?  I had an awful time trying to defend the notion that it was a bad page
to the guy at the bank when he was telling me how many of his friends and
family use it all the time, many with Linux, Mac and various Windows versions.
When I admitted that it was only this distro on this machine with the problem,
and no problem with other distros on the same machine in the past, he
understandibly remarked, "you need to get rid of that distro on that machine,
don't you think?"

I think I'm going to install Vector 5.8 SOHO on another machine and see if
the same problem comes up.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 04:29:07 pm »

Jerry, this not looks like an unsolvable problem and may be you need to be a little patience. If the problem is the flash plugin, it is the site developer fault, I say it being a web developer myself. If the site is not working with the exact version shipped with Soho, looks like bad luck for us and not a vl fault, but again, is the site fault. If you ask me, using flash as the main tool in a site is wrong from the beginning, since it violates many standards. I use it just to decorate and if my client ask for it.
If we find the problem is in vl and not in the plugin, I am sure the developers will fix it for the next release. That is how this work, I cant see any better way.
I think the better way to solve a problem is starting with the more easy and finishing with the difficult. So, may be is not the time to a reinstall yet. This is how I use to install the flash plugin:
I download the tar.gz file from here.
I move the file to /usr/local, then untar it and then symlink the plugin to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.
That should do it, you can type about:plugins to check it.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 04:53:11 pm »

I still don't get how it would be a problem with the way their page is written. 
Their web page appears to be written for a specific version of Macromedia Flash, which VL SOHO and Standard and even SeaMonkey on Windows do not have loaded - or their web page coding is buggy and reacts badly to MM Flash, a specific version of it anyways.

It just so happens that those who have success with pinn bank's web pages are those with a newer or different version of flash, on a specific browser.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 04:58:22 pm »

"I download the tar.gz file from here.
I move the file to /usr/local, then untar it and then symlink the plugin to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.
That should do it, you can type about:plugins to check it."

I've done that many times, most often in Fedora.  I take it I'm to uninstall the flash that is in
Mozilla now.

What I meant about trying 5.8 on my pc was to see if the same problem came up on another
machine other than this Acer laptop.. not that I was "giving up." 

I am still puzzled as to how it can be a page writer's fault if it works fine in other distros.  Undecided
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2007, 05:02:01 pm »

I am still puzzled as to how it can be a page writer's fault if it works fine in other distros.  Undecided
I guess you have not really read my previous postings, nor "rbistolfi's", because we answered that question already....

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007, 05:07:37 pm »

Just tried VL 5.8 Standard, Seamonkey 1.1.4, Shockwave Flash 9.0 d78, and the First Time Sign in seems to work every time.

EDIT: Sorry, make that 1.1.3.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:27:41 pm by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2007, 06:00:33 pm »

Jerry, excuse me if I am a little obvious with my suggestions, but could be useful to others who reads the thread with a similar problem than you, and may be they dont have your background. About the site, it happens, not every page looks the same on every browser, and sometimes a site bad coded needs a special version of some program, the flash plugin in this case. A good web developer will make a site which works in almost every browser and with almost every plugin version. It is impossible to write code for all the versions of the flash plugin. Again, that happens and there is anything the vl team could do about it, it really looks like bad luck. Please note that the site works for others using vl with other plugin version, may be you want to try that. If you find is not the plugin, then you will be helping to improve vl bringing a bug to the light, is the only way to do it. But the devs needs to isolate the problem before upgrade the hole distro just in case. Please try to upgrade the plugin so they can know if there is a problem there. If that solves your problem, great, if it does not, we will look for another solution, but lets try this first.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:02:09 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

--
Jumalauta!!
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2007, 06:10:13 pm »

"I guess you have not really read my previous postings, nor "rbistolfi's", because we answered that question already..."

That arrogance does nothing for me, you, the forums or Vectorlinux.  Haven't you seen the postings from former
Vectorlinux users around the net, most recently at Distrowatch?  Some of the helpfulness loses value when that
sort of (mild this time) junk comes around.

I'm trying to solve a strange problem that is only occuring in THIS release of THIS distro.  Two website developers
I have talked to are amuzed by the notion that it is the page writing.  Ok, you are amuzed by the notion that it
could be Vector, THIS release, and the problem was duplicated by others who posted here.

Just stay out of it if you feel the need to insult the user of this distro.  I read the responses to my query about
the "fault" of the problem, and they were evasions at best, still trying to say the page was written with dangerous
or bad code for flash.   No.  Because that flash is also in PCLOS.  Now, don't you think the same problem would
come up with my PCLOS at that site?  It doesn't, hence, ergo, therefore it is NOT a flash or page writing problem
but a VECTOR problem which I hoped devs or others here could help ferret out for a Vector lover like me.

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2007, 06:58:48 pm »

Man this problem is being a real stumper.  Enough to make
you want to scream.

After reading everything you have tried. The only suggestion
that  I can offer is checking for pop up blocking.

I have had possibly similar issues like this before.

Hoping that is the answer.

Bigpaws
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: