VectorLinux
August 28, 2014, 05:04:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aesthetic Suggestions  (Read 4443 times)
darrelljon

« on: August 05, 2007, 01:12:52 pm »

I used Vector and liked it. This may sound superficial but I switched to Kanotix partly because of the ASCII Tux picture during Vector's boot up and some of the Vector branding of the login and desktop. Perhaps these could be considered for adjustments in the next release?
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 01:47:25 pm »

The Vector branding is easily changed for whatever suites your taste.  Even the ASCII Tux can be removed but maybe not as simple as unchecking a box like the customized Vector Branding.

I'm not a developer by any means. But there is absolutely no way to satisfy every person, as we are all so unique.

But I can understand why you would feel that way about the appearance.  That is one reason I left SuSe.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 02:54:38 pm »

When I have problems with appearances of something I just change them Grin, as you say, they are superficial and don't affect functionality of the OS when changed.

Have you had a chance to play with sidux (as compared to kanotix)?  I've been interested in trying those couple debian sid branches but haven't had the urge to distro-hop since I found VL.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 02:54:59 pm »

I know where you are coming from. In the past VL can probably be rightly accused of some unprofessional and or inconsistent looking graphical screens that might put some folks off. I think VL SOHO 5.8 went a long way to improving our look, but as the PP says looks are always in the eye of the beholder.

I do think you raise a good point, anything we can do to improve our image is worthwhile, but one can never please all the people all the time. IMHO though, our primary goal (given our limited number of developers) should always be to keep VL fast and stable - something I believe we excel at over many other distros.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 09:13:49 am »

the lilo boot image is harder to change, and the boot splash (which i dont like and are austetically unapealling to me too) Roll Eyes
Im glad im not the only one. I was feeling like a whining brat among a mass of disaproval.

If you want a growing penguin,you can at least change the background. Its terrible. If not, How do i change it?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 09:16:34 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 10:01:07 am »

If you want a growing penguin,you can at least change the background. Its terrible. If not, How do i change it?

Ahh C'mon, tell us how you really feel.  Cheesy

The images are in /etc/bootsplash/themes/VectorLinux/images  Don't know if a simple swap is going to do the trick or not since I've never wanted to try.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 05:19:49 pm »

If not, How do i change it?

I edited lilo.conf to get rid of both the bootsplash and the lilo menu bitmap.

I suppose I could find a way of changing the images, but I actually find the "no bitmap" lilo menu quite nice... old-fashioned but very functional and fast. And I prefer to see the boot messages.
Darin

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 09:23:38 pm »

there is a boot-theme-switch script...I will ask Masta to package up the theme switch package so others can use it then we need some more themes from others...the script rewrites the initrd as that is how that is done as well as having the bitmap located in in a folder...the theme requires a new theme and a relink to do things manually but the script makes things alot easier...we do need to fix the rerunning of lilo in the script as it uses a default lilo config to run and the lilo needs to be edited to where the bitmap is but that is a minor annoyance and should be an easy fix in the script
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 07:07:31 pm »

Yes! Being able to customize both lilo and boot-splash would be a very very wonderful thing. I don't mind the colors so much as the growing penguine itself. I dunno it just feels...off putting. Still, it beats a boring corp friendly loadscreen. Options, however, would be nice....so long a the people working on these options arn't the same that SHOULD be working on tuning and tweaking the programs we want in the next revision.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 07:40:40 am »

there is a boot-theme-switch script...I will ask Masta to package up the theme switch package so others can use it then we need some more themes from others...

Cool! Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: