VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 04:29:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble with internet connection  (Read 2460 times)
windtalker

« on: August 05, 2007, 02:29:28 pm »

I have a Dell Dimension 4600. My ethernet card was built into the motherboard but fried and I put one in that plugs into the motherboard. I don't recall the name of it. Sorry. I use Wild Blue for my internet. It's the system that uses the satellites. I have an average download slightly in excess of 1500 kbps.I run through a linksys router as well.  I installed the newest SOHO release, reinstalled it several times to insure I was selecting the DHCP option and watching closely to try and insure I wasn't  misunderstanding the installation requirements. I update the gslap and then select mark updates, then go through the marked updates to insure I'm not installing Wi-Fi or something else that I don't use or need. I try and be very careful that I don't unmark a needed library for an already installed program that is needed or used. The problem arises when I reboot or start back up the next day. I almost always have to reboot a few times to get an internet connection. This has even happened when rebooting from a fresh install. The install does not recognize my dial-up modem which is fine, I know it's fried and don't use it anyway. But I don't understand how one time I can connect to the net and not the next three boots? I don't change anything beyond installing games and ripping a few cd's. I've tried to find out how to force a connection but havn't found any. Please be aware, I've only played with linux about a month now and this is the first slackware baptismal for me.  I also have not played with the firewall as of yet so it shouldn't be blocking the internet connection. Thx for any helful comments in advance. P.S. If I can get past this small hurdle, I've found my dream system.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 03:08:17 pm »

First of all in the VL world we suggest against doing full system upgrades with gslapt by doing a Mark All Upgrades, Execute. This is unnecessary because VL is built as a very stable, fast and safe system and the only really good reasons for doing a full system upgrade are to cure a very serious security hole (which are very few and far between) or because you seriously need some new functionality not provided by the standard system install. Many full system upgrades in many different OS's are dangerous and often result in something breaking - which has happened in your case.

Well what you describe is still a weird one, but we need more info to help you. Next time you fail to connect to the Internet open up a terminal and get the output from the commands below (run as root) and post them to this thread (you do that by highlighting the text in the terminal and then using the middle mouse button to past that highlighted text into a VL Forum post window.):

ifconfig
route -n
cat /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1
lsmod

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
windtalker

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 09:06:50 pm »

Will do and thx. I went ahead and reinstalled the system fresh and won't do any upgrades at all. i was also losing a splash screen on start up. I read here somewhere in the forums about doing a full upgrade and just checking to make sure that nothing extra was installed. Couple that with the multiple systems I've already installed that require up to 147 updates right after the install and no wonder I thought i was doing the right thing. I havn't rebooted as of yet but if I have any further probs I'll do as you asked. Thx.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: