VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 01:13:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DVD on VL 350mHz machine  (Read 2160 times)
Ewald

« on: August 18, 2007, 08:03:02 am »

is there a way to run DVD's decently on a 350mHz machine / 256MB RAM under VL operating system?
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 09:38:23 am »

Well, it might be possible... You could try with xine, it has been reported to give the best performance on older boxes.
Try disabling as much unneeded services as possible in vasm :
VASM -> SUPER (give root password) -> SERVICE -> SRVSET -> (choose the runlevel you use. by default vl boots to runlevel 4).

If performance is not as good  as you'd like, you can use a little trick with the "realtime" kernel module. Please note I have not tried this myself, as I don't have a dvd player for my old laptop (it's a 333 MHz p2). I use the realtime module for audio production on a more modern computer though.

1) change the group of the xine executable to "video":
Code:
chgrp video /usr/bin/xine

2) load the realtime module and give programs belonging to the "video" group (group 18) realtime priority:
modprobe realtime gid=18

3) if it's better, you can add that line to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Good luck!

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 11:21:09 am »

You might also try copying the VOB file to your hard drive and playing that.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: