VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vector Installer On A UFD?  (Read 5636 times)

gacl

• Vectorite
Re: Vector Installer On A UFD?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 08:38:29 pm »

I'm getting:

Invalid or corrupt kernel image.

Here's the extlinux.conf file:

default isolinux/kernel/sata initrd=initrd.img load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=18000 rw root=/dev/ram
prompt 1
display message.txt
F1 f1.txt
label linux
  kernel isolinux/kernel/sata
  append initrd=initrd.img load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=18000 rw root=/dev/ram
label sata
  kernel isolinux/kernel/sata2
  append initrd=initrd.img load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=18000 rw root=/dev/ram
label scsi
  kernel isolinux/kernel/scsi
label linux2
  kernel isolinux/kernel/sata
  append initrd=initrd.new load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=18000 rw root=/dev/ram
label sata2
  kernel isolinux/kernel/sata2
  append initrd=initrd.new load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=18000 rw root=/dev/ram
label scsi2
  kernel isolinux/kernel/scsi

I also tried the 2.6.20.3 kernel that rbistolfi suggested, but i get the same thing.
“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 04:18:05 am »

gacl
You are one dedicated person!  Hope you get this resolved.  This has been an interesting thread.

gacl

• Vectorite
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 06:50:33 pm »

OK, it's booting now.

I started from scratch. I partitioned as /dev/sda1, then mkfs.ext3, and then i copied all of the Vector files to the drive, and then i had to use Puppy 'cause i don't think Vector has extlinux.

I created a boot directory, did extlinux -i boot, did mv isolinux/isolinux.cfg boot/extlinux.conf, moved initrd.img and the kernel folder to boot too, and now it's booting.

Now, i kind of knew this was going to happen but i get the "Something Is Wrong" box. The one that says: "ERROR ERROR ! I could not find the install media on the hard disk or the CDROM as well. Please check. . ." etc.

What do i do now?
“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers

stoichyu

• Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 10:03:22 pm »

Does the kernel have usb and usb mass storage device modules built-in? Or as separate modules? Also, did you put the iso in the root of the drive?
There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836

gacl

• Vectorite
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 03:33:12 pm »

Sweet, sweet victory!

I downloaded the ISO to one of the partitions in the drive, and. . . done! I'm writing this from Vector Linux installed in my Dell Latitude. I had to sweat this one out but it's finally done. And hopefully i learned something in the process. Thank you all!

Gus
Pages: 1 [2]