VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 12:46:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Installer On A UFD?  (Read 4980 times)
gacl
Vectorite

« on: August 07, 2007, 09:16:21 pm »

Hi,

I recently was able to install Vector Live to a UFD ( http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3411.0 ) and now i need to put the installation disc on a UFD. Can that be done? Is it done with the same method as with a live disc? Thanks.

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 09:18:29 pm »

you should be able to do it the same way
let us know how it goes,
uelsk8s
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 03:54:15 pm »

I did everything exactly as i did with the last one but it doesn't boot. I was getting an error of "kernel image not found", or something like that, so i had to move extlinux.conf to the root directory. Even with that it gets stuck at boot:. Any ideas?

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 05:03:19 pm »

what version are you trying?
I got the 5.8 soho to work before but std wouldnt work because of the kernel
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:32:54 pm »

I use the standard version. What do you mean "because of the kernel?" The SOHO version will probably be too heavy. Thanks.

Gus

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 05:35:40 pm »

the kernel didnt have everything built in i needed to boot from the device.
You can use the soho kernel to boot the std installer though
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:18:24 am »

Do i need to download the SOHO ISO and burn it? Or is that kernel available somewhere else? I suppose it's this: VL5.8-SOHO-final.iso. Thanks.

Gus

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 01:01:03 pm »

Pick one kernel from here Cheesy:

http://ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/kernels/

I think the soho kernel was the 2.6.20.3

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 09:27:05 am »

I downloaded 2.6.21.1. The higher the number the better, right? Where do i put this, though? Do i have to convert it to vmlinuz? I don't see a vmlinuz on the install disc. Thanks.

Gus

gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 10:40:54 am »

Maybe i've been misunderstood. The installation disc gets stuck at boot:. I have been unable to install Vector in that machine.

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 06:31:33 pm »

Do you mean a VL install CD that you burned yourself? If it doesn't get past boot then it is usually:

1) faulty CD burn (try slower speed, better media)
2) ISO burn untested with md5sum
2) faulty CDROM drive

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 07:51:38 am »

Do you mean a VL install CD that you burned yourself?

No, it's a USB flash drive. I'm trying to put the installation disc on a UFD because my Dell laptop has no optical drive.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 08:18:21 am »

rename the 2.6.21.1 kernel to sata and replace the one in he kernels folder
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 12:54:02 pm »

rename the 2.6.21.1 kernel to sata and replace the one in he kernels folder

Now i get: Could not find kernel image: kernel/sata.

I downloaded the kernel twice, just in case. It is in the right place: isolinux/kernel. *sigh*

Just a reminder: isolinux.cfg was renamed to extlinux.conf and moved to the root of the drive ( from the isolinux directory).

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 01:28:23 pm »

so then it should say
  kernel isolinux/kernel/sata
in extlinux.conf
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: