VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 09:28:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: no default sound device detected in kde after kernel recompile  (Read 4031 times)
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« on: August 09, 2007, 01:41:07 am »

i have a clean install of vector linux 5.8 soho final with kernel version 2.6.20.3

i did the following to remove a lot of hardware drivers that i know for sure i never have used or will use and recompiled the same kernel.

<code>#cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.20.3/
#make xconfig
//the qconf gui for selecting kernel components comes up. i messed around much less than last time...but given that i had an AMD machine n that i never use DVB hardware or modems. i saved n quit the GUI utility.//
#make&&make modules&&make modules_install</code>
initially there was an error in some code for squashFS which i had selected and the make failed midway, so i unchecked that as before n checked that all sound drivers were checked although, my sound hardware is onboard (dell inspiron 1501 with AMD n ATI h/w).
after reboot though, kde comes up with the message that the default sound device is not found. is it possible that a sound hardware despite of what it gets detected as may use some other drivers?
alsaconf detects sound hardware perfectly as ATI azalia, like before, but even after another reboot the sound isn't getting detected.

btw, i feel the kernel version is older than what came on RC2. anyways, i hope to solve the problem with this kernel itself, after all sound was working perfectly till i did the recompilation.

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
http://pintooo15.livejournal.com
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 10:14:22 pm »

update: sound works. but at the cost of no ac adaptor and battery modules.

steps taken to resolve the matter

1. installed tlz packages of the kernel-2.6.20.6 for i586 and kernel-modules-2.6.20.6  for i586.

2. relinked the config and vmlinuz symlinks to config-2.6.20.6 and vmlinuz-2.6.20.6 respectively.

sound had been detected. but the battery/ac mains icon doesn't show up, so i assume that the necessary modules are either not loaded or not compiled.

p.s. before switching to the new kernel, when i did lspci i saw the sound hardware ATI technologies SB600 Azalia was being detected but alsaconf used to report that no PCI or PnP devices are found.

how is it possible to know what modules are included in the kernel-modules-2.6.20.6-i586.tlz package? and are all modules possibly loaded or can they be loaded manually in modprobe.conf?

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:17:09 am »

how is it possible to know what modules are included in the kernel-modules-2.6.20.6-i586.tlz package?
you can read /var/log/packages/kernel-modules-2.6.20.6-i586, or try "modprobe -l | less" as root (note that '|' is a "pipe" symbol, not a capital i or lowercase L). If you want to look inside a package without installing it, try "viewpkg kernel-modules-2.6.20.6-i586.tlz"

are all modules possibly loaded or can they be loaded manually in modprobe.conf?
Most modules should be autoloaded by udev if hardware that needs them is found.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 08:04:07 am »

p.s. before switching to the new kernel, when i did lspci i saw the sound hardware ATI technologies SB600 Azalia was being detected but alsaconf used to report that no PCI or PnP devices are found.

In my experience, if the proper module is not inserted in the kernel, alsaconf will not detect the soundboard, even when lspci can see the hard. I think your soundcard uses the snd-hda-intel module.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 02:03:42 am »

the viewpkg command helped in locating the names for the battery and ac adaptor modules. added them to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and now the battery monitor works fine.

Most modules should be autoloaded by udev if hardware that needs them is found

most. hmm Smiley

I think your soundcard uses the snd-hda-intel module
it prints this line...

hda-intel       ATI Technologies Inc. SB600 Azalia

how did intel get in my AMD machine? Sad

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: