VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 08:09:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: fresh new installatione, after update internet stops working!  (Read 4337 times)
nulll

« on: August 09, 2007, 04:26:03 am »

Ciao!
I'm a new VectorLinux user,
i moved to this distro from Kubuntu cause Kubuntu was too slow.

Ufter installing the SOHO 5.8 edition, i've update the whole sistem, at the end of it i had the following problems
- grup could not find the splash image (solved by me)
- KDM could not find his image (solved by me)
- internet doesen't work

I come from a Debian system, so i'm not able (and i'm a little bit scarried too) to set up the network by myself...can somebody help me!

Grazie!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 05:13:41 am »

how you connect to the internet?
pls explaint....
nulll

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 05:30:17 am »

your right! ...sorry

i connect via LAN with eth0 card
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 07:57:36 am »

do your VL in a LAN? Is there other system in the same network? If yes, can you ping other PC/system?
nulll

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 11:45:06 pm »

Yes my VL is in a LAN,
yes there are other systems in the network,
but when i ping another PC i get this message:

"Network is unreachable"

My connection was working after the installation, but when i updated the packages of the system from Glasp the connection stopd working.
I tryed to reconfigure via vasm but it doesn't work  Embarrassed
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 12:15:58 am »

Yes my VL is in a LAN,
yes there are other systems in the network,
but when i ping another PC i get this message:

"Network is unreachable"

My connection was working after the installation, but when i updated the packages of the system from Glasp the connection stopd working.
I tryed to reconfigure via vasm but it doesn't work  Embarrassed

What comes up when you run 'netstat -rn'?

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
nulll

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 12:36:30 am »

i don't know how to post the output, server seems not accepting it!

plz tell me what i have to search in that output
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 12:40:04 am by nulll » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 02:43:48 am »

are you using DHCP or static IP? Check the IP setting....
check the firewall......disable it if can
check "lsmod" and "lspci" to see is the correct NIC modules loaded (not likely the problem but you may double check it)

btw, this problem once happen to me......what I did is reinstall some network related package from gslapt (don't remember the name) and the issue solved. I got mentioned the problem is this forum before they move to new forum. Now it is gone......
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 02:55:16 am by hata_ph » Logged
nulll

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 03:22:57 am »

i'm using DHCP, but i tryed even static configuration.
Allready disabled the firewall

lspci => i can read my "Ethernet controller" line
lsmod => i don't know what i have to search in that output

i've tried even to reconfigure the whole system using vasm without X in autoconfig bu no way Sad Sad Sad
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 03:55:21 am »

i don't know how to post the output, server seems not accepting it!
select the text you want to copy with the left mousebutton. Now, you can paste it with the middle mouse button (wheel) or by pressing both buttons if you have a 12 button mouse.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
nulll

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 04:02:55 am »

select the text you want to copy with the left mousebutton. Now, you can paste it with the middle mouse button (wheel) or by pressing both buttons if you have a 12 button mouse.
hihihihi  Cheesy
yes i know!

the problem is that when i submit the form with all that text, the server goes like in stand by (my english is not too good...i don't know very well how to explain), and at the end of these "waiting" period i get redirect with no message on the page with the other posts of the current category, but my reply it's not visible (so i think it has been rejected)
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 12:53:08 am »

are you using DHCP or static IP? Check the IP setting....
check the firewall......disable it if can
check "lsmod" and "lspci" to see is the correct NIC modules loaded (not likely the problem but you may double check it)

btw, this problem once happen to me......what I did is reinstall some network related package from gslapt (don't remember the name) and the issue solved. I got mentioned the problem is this forum before they move to new forum. Now it is gone......

I remember what I did to solve the problem..I reinstall ifplugd from the VL repository.........not remember which version I reinstall......
I found out that there is a ifplugd.conf file in the ifplugd folder have change to ifplugd.conf.bak (this cause my eth0 not auto start at boot time)
if you still cannot connect to network.....maybe you can check your etc/ifplugd folder and have a look yourself.... Tongue
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 08:22:49 am by hata_ph » Logged
tncanuck

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 05:44:05 pm »

I had the same problem: My connection was working after the installation, but when I updated the packages of the system from Glasp the connection stopped working. My VL is in a LAN,  there are other systems in the network, but when I ping another PC I get this message:  "Network is unreachable"  I connect via LAN with eth0 card, I just installed this week Vector Linux 5.8 STD and my router and network card are set to use DHCP. I have tried logged in as root:

ifconfig eth0 down
dhcp -k
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

I also poked around the root VASM for the network and got convinced I had to remove the DNS Server and change my host name to VLG6, simpler.

I can now get online, but I am not sure what I have done to fix it, or what broke it during my first gslapt session.

I now get a message everytime I boot:

"Could not look up internet address for VLG6. This will prevent Xfce from operating properly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding VLG6 to the file /etc/hosts on your system. "

The Retry button is useless, Continue anyway will get me on and online.

Where in the file do I make the changes. I just need a little bit of hand holding, as I am still "wet behind the ears" on Vector Linux

Thanks.

tncanuck

VL 6.0 Deluxe on Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb RAM, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb AGP card, Creative Sound Blaster Live!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 05:57:46 pm »

if you still cannot connect to network.....maybe you can check your etc/ifplugd folder and have a look yourself....

have you try this?
tncanuck

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 05:17:57 pm »

I fixed the host name problem with Xfce.

In my etc/ifplugd folder, the only thing not commented out (#) is:

INTERFACES= "eth0"

Which appears to be correct. I have the box back online now, I did not know if my case was isolated, or if this is a known problem worth reporting. To tell the truth, I am a little afraid to touch Gslapt package manager again!

Thanks for your help hata_ph.

tncanuck

VL 6.0 Deluxe on Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb RAM, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb AGP card, Creative Sound Blaster Live!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: