Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: LXP  (Read 9340 times)

Lyn

• Vectorian
Re: LXP
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 12:49:37 am »
Personally I'd love a version of Icewm that when installed from the repo lookes like the IceWM that we had for 5.1 - how do you get it so the icons on the task bar are not in boxes, ie transparent edges to them?  I thought that that was the best looking IceWM ever... OK Icons supplied by using ROX, would be good to have a meta package that could install all that and the themes - now if you try installing icewm you end up with the stock looks and feel.  If we did that then we would largely replicate the look/feel that people want for XP, by which they largely mean a "start" button bottom left, icons on the desktop and a hierarchical menu structure for launching programs.  (which just about every window manager can provide).  I think also there would be some copyright issues with producing identical icons to those used in Windows, especially using the IE icon for firefox, Word for OpenOffice Writer etc

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 03:23:46 pm »
...Just saw it uses XFE. I know its a capible file manager but no...just...BLEH. ... Just wish there was a file manager that did a better job at mimiking 9x's explorer.
Personally I know of no other Linux software that is such a good mimic of the Win98 file explorer as is xfe so I really don't know what you mean. The .xferc file can be adjusted considerably to make it almost a carbon copy in looks and facilities.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

Will

• Vectorite
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 03:28:13 pm »
this i did not know about. Any ideas on how I would go about this?

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 03:42:46 pm »
this i did not know about. Any ideas on how I would go about this?
http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/index.php?page=docs
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll