VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 05:04:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mozilla Sunbird  (Read 5468 times)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 04:54:17 am »

I would not say that there is anything wrong with Sea-monkey's calendar.  I depends on your needs.  Sunbird is a newer, re-worked calendar.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  But it's my understanding that Sunbird, Firefox, Thunderbird and other Mozilla apps are the bleeding edge of Mozilla's efforts.  A proving ground you might say.  Eventually the proven stable code makes it into the Sea-monkey suite. Or some may not make it at all if it turns out the users don't like it.

The Sea-monkey suite has a smaller footprint than all the individual apps (Sunbird, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc) because the Sea-monkey apps share share the same base code.  The individual apps (Sunbird, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc) can run without the others so you end up with duplicate executables and libs in separate directory's.

Mozilla has no shortage of calendars.  Thunderbird also has a calendar extention (Lightning).  I've considered building it, but how many calendars do "we" need?
I hope that was helpful?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 04:55:57 am by exeterdad » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 09:01:31 am »

Mozilla is putting all the efforts on Firefox. Seamonkey is maintained by the developers community. Mozilla gives the infrastructure (hosting, pieces of code, dev tools, etc). Apparently, this will be the destiny of all the Mozilla apps but Firefox, including the great Thunderbird. The Foundation thinks they need to points all the resources to Firefox and they will leave the other projects for the community.

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=22235&message=17&state=reply

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 11:17:38 am »

That explains a lot.  Many Mozilla related things make sense to me now. Thanks rbistolfi.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: