VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: setup for 2nd HD  (Read 1407 times)

trucker33377

setup for 2nd HD
« on: August 12, 2007, 12:35:12 pm »

OK here goes. Ive got a C: drive 250 gig and a D: 120 gig . jumpers are set for master and slave. i would like to make the slave use vector and leave xp on C for now. how do i set this up so when i boot up i can use grub to pick. as it is right now D drive is useless to me for anything other then storage.
SIMPER FI

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: setup for 2nd HD
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 07:27:24 pm »

The VectorLinux installer, along with its included partitioning program will sort it our for you, but you will need to understand a bit about partitioning and the nomenclature used by Unix/Linux re hard drives. Also lilo or grub will find your XP partition and will put it in the boot menu so you need not worry about that.

I suggest you read our documentation first re partitioning here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html#partitioning
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

trucker33377

Re: setup for 2nd HD
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 09:14:23 pm »

i   got it  done  ;) but right now i don't have sound working  yet. just to make sure i   unhooked drive with windows on it and setup linux partitions then reconnected everything on reboot. hope this works out ok there was and old windows install on that drive.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:20:10 pm by trucker33377 »
SIMPER FI