VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: I didn't set up a user name for myself  (Read 1564 times)

Nobody

I didn't set up a user name for myself
« on: August 13, 2007, 02:17:50 am »

So I install Vectorlinux SOHO and then the computer reboots and I'm about to try it for the first time.  Except, one problem.  I set the password, but forgot to add a user name.  How do I fix this?  Thanks.

Nobody

Re: I didn't set up a user name for myself
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:34:01 am »

Nevermind, I'm an idiot.  I just needed to enter root as the user.

wcs

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 05:30:41 am »

You can add and remove users by using the USER menu in System > VASM (if you run it as root).
After you create a user and set up a password, it's generally considered good security practice not to login as root.

Nobody

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 09:21:58 am »

Yeah.  I think what happened was that the only other desktop Linux that I've tried is Ubuntu, and with that you don't log in as root.  You set up a name for yourself and then when you want to do root functions you use the sudo command.  So I was confused about the fact that Vector didn't ask for a primary log in name.

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:31:30 am »

...  So I was confused about the fact that Vector didn't ask for a primary log in name.

Just so you know Ubuntu is the only Linux distro that does things that way. All other Unixes/Linuxes have seperate root and user accounts.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

Nobody

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 01:02:43 pm »

Thank you for the information.