Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: I didn't set up a user name for myself  (Read 1553 times)

Nobody

I didn't set up a user name for myself
« on: August 13, 2007, 01:17:50 am »
So I install Vectorlinux SOHO and then the computer reboots and I'm about to try it for the first time.  Except, one problem.  I set the password, but forgot to add a user name.  How do I fix this?  Thanks.

Nobody

Re: I didn't set up a user name for myself
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 01:34:01 am »
Nevermind, I'm an idiot.  I just needed to enter root as the user.

wcs

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 04:30:41 am »
You can add and remove users by using the USER menu in System > VASM (if you run it as root).
After you create a user and set up a password, it's generally considered good security practice not to login as root.

Nobody

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 08:21:58 am »
Yeah.  I think what happened was that the only other desktop Linux that I've tried is Ubuntu, and with that you don't log in as root.  You set up a name for yourself and then when you want to do root functions you use the sudo command.  So I was confused about the fact that Vector didn't ask for a primary log in name.

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:31:30 am »
...  So I was confused about the fact that Vector didn't ask for a primary log in name.

Just so you know Ubuntu is the only Linux distro that does things that way. All other Unixes/Linuxes have seperate root and user accounts.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

Nobody

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 12:02:43 pm »
Thank you for the information.