VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 05:48:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I didn't set up a user name for myself  (Read 1388 times)
Nobody

« on: August 13, 2007, 01:17:50 am »

So I install Vectorlinux SOHO and then the computer reboots and I'm about to try it for the first time.  Except, one problem.  I set the password, but forgot to add a user name.  How do I fix this?  Thanks.
Nobody

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 01:34:01 am »

Nevermind, I'm an idiot.  I just needed to enter root as the user.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 04:30:41 am »

You can add and remove users by using the USER menu in System > VASM (if you run it as root).
After you create a user and set up a password, it's generally considered good security practice not to login as root.
Nobody

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 08:21:58 am »

Yeah.  I think what happened was that the only other desktop Linux that I've tried is Ubuntu, and with that you don't log in as root.  You set up a name for yourself and then when you want to do root functions you use the sudo command.  So I was confused about the fact that Vector didn't ask for a primary log in name.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:31:30 am »

...  So I was confused about the fact that Vector didn't ask for a primary log in name.

Just so you know Ubuntu is the only Linux distro that does things that way. All other Unixes/Linuxes have seperate root and user accounts.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Nobody

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 12:02:43 pm »

Thank you for the information.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: