VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 01:55:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Vector Linux?  (Read 3798 times)
willguy

« on: August 13, 2007, 01:05:56 pm »

I would like to ask, "Why Should i Switch to vector linux?" I've seen this asked on other distro forums and it always stirs up good answers, so please let me know. thanks.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 01:15:33 pm »

I can only speak for myself, but I think we do have a great distro put together...

Here is something you might consider looking @
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3669.0
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3268.0

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 04:48:30 pm »

try it then you will know the answer...... Grin Grin Grin
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 05:11:56 pm »

For me, it's mostly because of the friendly forum support, and a real sense of community involvement.
But of course, the fact that it is fast and functional, very user-friendly (whatever that means) and still allows you to learn about your system and easily customize it.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 05:50:33 pm »

I started with Vector Linux because it's very solid and fast on older hardware.  I've stayed with VL because of this fantastic community ... and also because it's solid and fast on older hardware.

Some other things to consider:  most things work very well out of the box.  Naturally there will be some issues for some people, but that's true of any OS + hardware combination.  In my experience, Vector is one of the best distributions for going from a bare computer to a working desktop in a short time.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 06:22:41 pm »

I would like to ask, "Why Should i Switch to vector linux?" I've seen this asked on other distro forums and it always stirs up good answers, so please let me know. thanks.

I'm not going to pressure you into VL.  If you like making breakfast while your Linux boots up, well then that's your thing.  If you like getting flamed in forums for asking a question that you honestly don't understand...  don't join our  forums.  If you like having to download and burn several CD's just to get a usable desktop installed..  Don't download our CD.

You might be able to hand compile your own Linux system in a week or two, tweak and configure it in a couple months, and it might run faster than VL.   Maybe.... 

Or you can set aside 20 minutes of your life and install VL and start getting something done with your computer instead of dedicating all of your time to getting your computer running.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 07:36:12 pm »

1) you prefer a Lotus Elise to a Toyota Camry
2) you enjoy learning new skills
3) you enjoy being in a smaller community that is friendly but still has good facilities
4) you don't mind getting your hands dirty once in a while
5) your suggestions, if constructive, will actually be considered by the developers
6) you can easily contribute to the community of you wish and it will be appreciated
7) you care about still being able to use older computers that are still very capable and relatively fast with the right OS installed.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 08:00:56 pm »

You should start by just using vectorlinux.  Then, and only then, will you know why you should or shouldn't switch to vectorlinux.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 10:47:41 pm »

I like VectorLinux because it's fast, it's not mucked up to be non-Linuxlike, it runs what I'm interested in very well, we have a helpful community, and it's great for old AND NEW hardware.

I tried a bunch of distros a few years ago, but after VectorLinux 4.something came on the scene, it was so much faster than other distros that I lost interest in them.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 11:20:25 pm »

It was the speed which brought me here (I saw several references on forums to how fast VL is) and the community which keeps me here, plus the real opportunity to make a few humble contributions of my own.

Eric
Kocil

Eko M. Budi

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 12:06:57 am »

Because the boss welcomes anyone to join as vectelopers.
Please send your contribution, no question asked  Grin
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 01:56:14 am »

Basically everything good that can be said about Slackware and more.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 09:08:44 am »

As has been said in so many different ways so far: VL is fast and VL's community is informative, helpful, kind, and friendly. Other distros may have an advantage for certain individuals but VL seems to have incorporated the big and little things in one place. (Of course I've only been around since VL4 live.)
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 09:51:52 am »

its a very nicely tuned up slackware based distro.
The comunity is very good. Every single person reading this is a reson to be here.
Stick around and you wont regret it. This distro is deffinatelly the best slack based distro out there. I have tried almost all slack based distros, this is better. Faster and more stable, better tuned up (alot better than zenwalk)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:09:05 pm by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 01:36:53 pm »

I started with VL SOHO 5.1.1 and can't say that I regret it. Now I use Standard 5.8 Release Candidate 3 and the thing what made me choose Vector Linux is the speed on my old hardware. I couldn't imagine that my old computer could keep up with such a fantastic distro without any flaws.

Why am I still using Vector you may ask?
The simple reason is that the community we have here is the best. I have been around and looking in other forums and the friendliness that we have here in the VL community can't be found in the other forums.
And as many users already have pointed out, the feeling to be a part of Vector Linux is something wonderful which I can't describe in words. You will have to try it out for yourself. Smiley

Regardless of what question you want to ask here in the forum or on IRC, there is always someone that will give you a helping hand. I can't even count the times I've gotten help for my smaller and bigger problems.

So I strongly suggest you to give VL a spin and I can almost guarantee you to 100% that you won't change to a different distro after you have given VL a go. Smiley

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: