VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 05:07:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Canon Powershot A430 + gtkam  (Read 2492 times)
Trio3b

« on: August 13, 2007, 08:45:18 pm »

Using VL 5.8 Standard- Well, this is a follow up on another post but having worked on it for two days now - no luck.

I have found two links for permissions for non root users, but no luck

gtkam opens and loads drivers but will not detect or initialize camera.
First tip off - gtkam opens and detects camera from terminal as root.... permissions issue?

I have given global permissions for gtkam, libgphoto2, gphoto2 in every location

I have added user to usb and  camera in /etc/group

There is some talk about vl-hot - vl-hot is installed
there seem to be two older versions of vl-hots in gslapt?

There is some talk about a kernel upgrade  for VL 5.8 using the SOHO kernel (2.6.19) but have looked and all available in glapt is the 2.6.18. There is a link to some testing kernels 2.6.20?  I have never recompiled.

There is also some info about this hotplug being fixed in SOHO, but I donate these PCs and they will not run SOHO according to requirements, so I would like to stick with Standard

Installed usbview and canon is detected when plugged in so I guess hotplug is working. USB pendrives work fine.

Any help appreciated.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 04:38:37 am »

Hi, there.

So this is a complete guess, but I remember in 5.8 Standard there was some issue with a file called 30-libgphoto2.rules

Now, I don't even know what this file does, and I don't know why it would work as root but not as a normal user, but replacing the existing file (that was in /etc/udev/rules.d/30-libgphoto2.rules) with this one (that is in the "fixes" repository) actually did it for me. It's here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/fixes/30-libgphoto2.rules

Again, this is a longshot... I'm not even sure that this was the move that sorted it for my camera.
But give it a try.
Trio3b

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 06:22:14 pm »

OK.only files in rules.d are:
10-vl-hot.rules  41-kqemu.rules  99-fuse.rules  libsane.rules  udev.rules

according to one site, much of this is dependent upon whether VL uses old or new usbfs or udev or HAL. This is over my head.

....but will poke around a bit and see what's what ....

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 07:16:16 pm by Trio3b » Logged
Trio3b

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 07:24:32 pm »

OK, here are 10-vl-hot.rules

udev.rules is for device naming rules (way too long to post)

user1:$ cat 10-vl-hot.rules
# (c) Vector Linux, 2005
# Joe1962's udev rules for VL-Hot
#
# (c) Vector Linux, 2005
# Part of VL-Hot by Joe1962
# Licensed under the GPL v2
#
# vl-hot release 1.0.1
#

# No more hotplug Wink

#vl-hot 0.2.x style:
#ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="block", BUS=="scsi", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="vl-hot/% k", ENV{VLHOT}="%p", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_mount %k %n"
#ACTION=="remove", ENV{VLHOT}=="%p", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_umount %k %n"

# diag:
#KERNEL="sd?[0-9]*", ACTION=="add", BUS=="scsi", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="vl-hot/% k", ENV{VLHOT}="%p", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_mount %k %n"

# new udev.rules style:
#KERNEL="sd?[0-9]*", ACTION=="add", BUS=="usb", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="vl-hot/%k ", ENV{VLHOT}="%p", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_mount %k %n"
#KERNEL="sd?[0-9]*", ACTION=="add", BUS=="pcmcia", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="vl-hot /%k", ENV{VLHOT}="%p", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_mount %k %n"
#KERNEL="sd?[0-9]*", ACTION=="add", BUS=="ieee1394", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="vl-h ot/%k", ENV{VLHOT}="%p", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_mount %k %n"
#KERNEL="sd?[0-9]*", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_umount %k %n"

# vl-hot 0.3.x style:
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="add", BUS=="usb", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="vl-hot/%k" , ENV{VLHOT}="%p", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_mount %k udev"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="add", BUS=="pcmcia", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="vl-hot/ %k", ENV{VLHOT}="%p", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_mount %k udev"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="add", BUS=="ieee1394", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="vl-ho t/%k", ENV{VLHOT}="%p", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_mount %k udev"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_umount %k udev"

# vl-hot 0.3.x experimental XFCE style:
#SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="add", BUS=="usb", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="vl-hot/%k ", ENV{VLHOT}="%p", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_icon %k"
#SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="add", BUS=="pcmcia", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="vl-hot /%k", ENV{VLHOT}="%p", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_icon %k"
#SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="add", BUS=="ieee1394", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="vl-h ot/%k", ENV{VLHOT}="%p", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_icon %k"
#SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/lib/udev/vl-hot_umount %k"

hope this helps

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 02:30:16 am »

Try copying the 30-libgphoto2.rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d/

(I doubt it will work, but I guess no harm in trying)
Trio3b

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 07:16:08 am »

wcs,

Almost there. The camera is still not auto detected but I can now add it through the drop down list in gtkam and seems to be working fine. I will check some of the features and see how they work.

This is a lot simpler than the usb permissions page I stumbled across.

Thanks for the tip.

Hopefully this is fixed in the next standard edition. I can understand rigid permissions in SOHO editions, but for someone who wants to surf the net,  play music or move photos around, this stuff is too onerous for the average user. I donate these PCs to a low income community and need to make the transition to Linux as smooth as possible.

VL is rocking on older Celerons and Pl, Pll with 128mb RAM. For a long time I was dissapointed that the only thing that ran fast on these machines was W9x. This of course is with a fresh install with few apps. (after a few months they crawl due to fragmentation, virus etc) The point was that people saw a fresh install of W9x compared to KDE and it was no contest w/128mbRAM. The W9x install impressed them with the speed every time.

Now, though, VL smokes AND they get the benefit of security. VL is looking better and better.

Thanks for the tip.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: